Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone tried connecting to VoIP with Nokia N95

farrin
Grafter

Anyone tried connecting to VoIP with Nokia N95

hi folks
I'm very new to playing around with the VoIP and only set up X-Lite last night which all seems to connect OK although I've not had a good play to see if it actually works. Looking through the manual of my nokia N95 it appears that can be used as a VoIP handset.
I can connect the N95 to my Wifi network and browse the internet from it but so far haven't managed to get it to work with VoIP. The phone finds my wifi network OK but then says it can't connect to the SIP connection. I'm assuming it is possible but has anyone else tried and if so did you get it working. I'd be interested in how you set things up if you did.
Thanks
Simeon
22 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Re: Anyone tried connecting to VoIP with Nokia N95

What router do you have?
My Gradwell account works perfectly via my Nokia handset. having said this, my luck with various SIP accounts and routers has been variable. As an example I'm testing a D-Link router at the moment and whilst my phone will connect wirelessly, it won't register (despite exactly the same settings working fine on another router).
Sometimes one provider will work and another won't. You then change your router and the opposite applies. It really is touch and go in my experience.
Take a look here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

farrin
Grafter

Hi Bob
I've got a Netgear 834DG (version 1). I've printed off the details from your link and will have another go tonight (not near the router at the moment) and report back.
Cheers
Simeon
[Moderator's note by Barry Zubel: Removed quote of preceeding post as per the link:rules]
farrin
Grafter

Oh well I tried with the settings as per your link but to no avail - comes up with something along the lines of "unable to connect to the SIP connection".
The router is NAT-ed - would this make a difference?
Simeon
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

My Voyager's NAT-d too. It works fine with our BETA trial accounts and PlusTalk but fails to register to my Sipgate account (IIRC).
My previous router (Zyxel 662HW) worked with my N95 and Sipgate but not PlusTalk?!
The D-Link I have at the moment doesn't work with anything?!
I'd mess around with port forwarding rules etc. but it would probably break the ATA that I have connected (which works OK). Plus I don't believe you can fix the IP address assigned to your Nokia.
As I've mentioned, it really is a pain TBH and I personally found it easier to just settle with the kit that worked out of the box.
Is it a trial Gradwell account you're trying to set-up as I've just realised that I gave you the instructions for the older Broadband Phone service?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Here are the instructions modified for Gradwell:
Handset Configuration

• Navigate to Tools > Settings > Connection > SIP Settings
  • Select Options > New SIP Profile > Use Default Profile
  • Enter your Broadband Phone settings as follows. I have used screenshots from sipgate's support pages and then included text after each screenshot to show what I replaced the options with.<br><br>

Profile name: Gradwell
    Service Profile: IETF
    Default Access Point: Your wirless access point or GPRS/UMTS Carrier
    Public user name: sip:<Your Gradwell extension>@sip2.plus.net
    Use compression: No
    Use Security: No
  • Go into the submenu called 'Proxy Server':<br><br>

Proxy server address: sip:sip2.plus.net
    Realm: sip2.plus.net
    User name: <Your Gradwell extension>
    Password: <Your Gradwell VoIP password>
    Allow loose routing: Yes
    Transport type: UDP
    Port: 5060
  • Return to the previous menu and go into the subfolder called 'Registrar Server':<br><br>

Registrar server address: sip:sip2.plus.net
    Realm: sip2.plus.net
    User name: <Your Gradwell extension>
    Password: <Your main account password>
    Transport type: UDP
    Port: 5060

Testing your device's functionality
To confirm the functionality of the configuration:

• Call the echo test number
    Using the Internet calling facility on your handset, dial 160 from your handset.
  • Make a call to your geographical number
    Using a land-line or another mobile device, try making a call to your geographical (01/02) number.
  • Make a call to a PSTN/Mobile number
    Using the Internet calling facility on your handset, dial a landline or mobile number.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Doh! I posted that a while back here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

farrin
Grafter

Hi Bob
I'm a Plus.net user for Broadband and I setup X-Lite with sip.plus.net etc as per the FAQ online. I had presumed the Gradwell information wasn't for me in this case but if that's not the case I'm happy to try that.
I'm sure it would be quite so fun if these things were simple, but it would be a lot easier  Wink
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If you haven't done so already then you can sign up for a free Gradwell trial account here. The original announcement concerning this can be seen here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

farrin
Grafter

Hi Bob
Well I got the settings for the trial and have tried to plonk them into the N95 and.......... same problem Sad However I did manage to set up truphone and that appears to work fine Huh Bloomin' technology!!
Have I missed anything with the settings? I tried to keep them in the same format as the truphone ones:
profile name: plus
service profile: ietf
default a.p. my wifi
public username SIPID@sip2.plus.net
compression no
regiastation when needed
use secuirty no
proxy:
proxy server address sip:nat.plus.net
realm sip2.plus.net
username SIPID
password as provided on registration for VOIP
allow loose routing yes
transport type UDP
Port 5082
registrar server
server address sip:sip2.plus.net
realm sip2.plus.net
username SIPID
passsword as provided on registration for VOIP
transport type udp
port 5082
I now seem to be generating VoIP phone numbers galore and it would just be nice to use one associated with my broadband account  Grin
Thanks
Simeon
farrin
Grafter

OK a little progress now. When I changed the registrar settings to port 5060 everything connected  Smiley And if I make a call from my N95 the VoIP phone number registers on  the receiving handset (yes, my own - perhaps I should get out more....) So calling out appears to be fine (assuming that when I talk the other person can hear).
But from a landline if I dial the VoIP number although X-Lite rings and registers an incoming call, my N95 doesn't get the call. Any ideas why this might be. This latter point isn't too critical as the intention was to be able to use my mobile as a handset for VoIP calls. But obviously if someone rings me back using the number provided it isn't going to work  Huh
geoffreyk

I'm using a Nokia E51 which has very similar VOIP settings to the N95. I noticed that the port settings listed above seem wrong. The proxy server (nat.plus.net) needs a port of 5082, and the registrar server (sip2.plus.net) needs a port of 5060. The E51 works fine with these settings (and a Belkin NAT'ed router with no ports opened) except that for registration to work I have to have established the wireless connection manually first. If I leave Registration as "Always on", the phone attempts to connect to the WLAN but doesn't seem to wait long enough to establish the connection before coming up with the "Registration failed" message. It then doesn't bother trying again.
farrin
Grafter

Hi Geoff
Yes I tried the 5060 port for the registrar by chance and it worked and I managed to dial out and was impressed by the quality of the call. If only the quality of the conversation matched it.........  Wink
Have you managed to get your Nokia to ring with an incoming call? I couldn't persuade it to and am not sure where I'm looking. X-Lite rings when I have that connected but the connection doesn't seem to quite get to the handset Sad
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Incoming call problems are usually related to firewall or NAT issues. Your settings are the same as mine apart from:
proxy server address sip:nat.plus.net

I'm using sip:sip2.plus.net here as per my previous instructions. I'm using a Voyager 2091 at the moment and incoming calls are fine.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

farrin
Grafter

Thanks Bob
Ironically I tried the setup out again last night and the phone rang fine with an incoming call (although I'm yet to check that voices can be heard that way......)
Will have another play over the weekend  Smiley
Simeon