cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone recommend a *CHEAP* mobile that works with VOIP?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Anyone recommend a *CHEAP* mobile that works with VOIP?

As title, preferably available for less than £40 secondhand, if it works on 3 all the better as I have a 3 broadband dongle & sim card.
27 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Re: Anyone recommend a *CHEAP* mobile that works with VOIP?

preferably available for less than £40 secondhand

I'm not sure that's possible. You're probably going to need a phone that runs either the Symbian OS or Windows Mobile to support voip. I doubt if you're going to get one of those for anywhere near £40 I'm afraid!.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: biker955
As title, preferably available for less than £40 secondhand, if it works on 3 all the better as I have a 3 broadband dongle & sim card.

Mr W spot on £40 wont get you a second hand phone    plus Your 3 dongle and sim wont be any use to you.
To make a voip call the mobile phone needs a internet wirless connection from your router at home or access to an unprotected wirless signal when your out and about.  You dont even need a sim card in the mobile to make a voip call.
Double your budget £70-£80 will get you a sim free phone off eBay.  Look for Nokia E65 N95 or N95-8gb don’t buy one from  the following network providers Vodafone T-Mobile or Orange the phone will need de-branding then change product code and finally re-flashed with a generic Nokia Firmware and get it unlocked at the same time cost £20
Vodafone Orange and t-mobile have these settings taken out de-branding and reflashing of the firmware in effect puts these settings back in
My choice get a Nokia E65 of eBay stay clear unless you know that an independent mobile repair shop who can debrand, flash nokia generic firmware and unlock the phone (cost £20)
Be quick because the phones listed above are going up in price because new range Nokia phones don’t have the VoIP capability at present
Good luck
Puddy
Community Veteran

Cheers for the replies. I have been lucky  Huh with ebay, I got a second chance on an E65 I was bidding on so I now have a 3 branded E65 on its way. (£40.05 delivered  Smiley)
My mobile broadband contract is for another 6 months (at sub £5/month) I don't use it much (no coverage here) so though about using the sim in a mobile and using voipskype.
I still have some credit on skype so will use that up first, should only take me the rest of the 6 months  Cheesy
So how easy is fring to use, can i set it up to use skype & the plusnet voip services? Or is it one at a time?
My 3 MBB doesn't have any voice calls so I would have to do everything via voip on gprs/3g
Community Veteran

o2 and 3 will work without updating the firmware

I'll second that...
I recently got my daughters cast off N95 ( ex o2 ) ( she just upgraded to an N95 8Gb ) and it works fine on Plusnet voip.
Edit: just saw your new post so...
So how easy is fring to use, can i set it up to use skype & the plusnet voip services? Or is it one at a time?

I believe it can handle both voip and skype accounts but I dont use it myself ,  I just use the voip client built into the N95.
Your 3 MBB sim should work fine, I've tried my other daughters 3 MBB sim in my N95, using it as a modem connected to my laptop and it works fine.
puddy
Grafter

credit on skype so will use that up first, should only take me the rest of the 6 months  Cheesy
My 3 MBB doesn't have any voice calls so I would have to do everything via voip on gprs/3g

Fring is not needed on this phone like mr w  I only use plusnet VoIP service its better quality and you get a free standard std code of your choice and depending which contract you have a plusnet you get free calls.  You don’t get std codes with Skype and call quality can be very poor.  Plusnet VoIP service is not Skype compatible
Plusnet VoIP is sip protocol once the phone is setup with your router you don’t need to leave your computer on to make and receive calls,  if you set “always on” when you leave the house the phone will disconnect and when you come back home it will re-connect with your router automatically
When you get the phone give me a shout and I will give you the correct settings you need

puddy
puddy
Grafter

I would have to do everything via voip on gprs/3g

Voip calls dont go over gprs/3g
You dont even need a sim card in the phone to make a voip call.  The call routed through  your routers wireless internet  connection You dont even need to have your computer on to make and receive call just leave the router on
You dont need to mess about with fring on the E65 use the in-built client sip setup
Have you requested voip service from plusnet? if not you need to do it and ask how many free minutes you will get
puddy
Settings for the Nokia E65 below
Profile name  Gradwell
Service profile IETF
Default access point Your router
Public username sip:id number@sip.plus.net
Use compression no
Registration always on or when needed 
Use security no
Proxy server
proxy server address  sip:natproxy.plus.net
Realm sip.plus.net
User Name  id number
Password  account password
allow loose routing yes
Transport type UDP
Port 5082
Registrar server
Registrar serv addr sip:sip.plus.net
Realm sip.plus.net
User name id number
Password id password
Transport type UDP
Port 5060

And dont forget this one
tools > settings > phone>  call barring >  internet call barring> anonymous call barring > switch off
Community Veteran

Quote from: puddy
Plusnet VoIP is sip protocol once the phone is setup with your router you don’t need to leave your computer on to make and receive calls,  if you set “always on” when you leave the house the phone will disconnect and when you come back home it will re-connect with your router automatically

Puddy, the main reason for using it is for calls made via 3g/gprs. I am not too bothered with calls inside the house since I have a phone connected to my 716.
So I really need it to "dial" out over gprs/3g when away from home.
Community Veteran

Quote from: puddy
You don’t get std codes with Skype

That is not correct. I have UK US and HK std numbers with Skype
Edit: Fixed quote
puddy
Grafter

Puddy, the main reason for using it is for calls made via 3g/gprs. I am not too bothered with calls inside the house since I have a phone connected to my 716.

Sorry I am a little confused your title said you wanted a cheap mobile £40 that can make  and receive voip calls.  plusnets voip calls dont need a sim card in the phone so it does not route voip calls over a 3g/gprs with its built in sip settings config
Sorry I got it wrong
puddy
Community Veteran

@Santiago yes I used my EEE & 3 MBB with sykpe out last year, which is my I am assuming that I can do the same using fring on this mobile with the same sim card.
@puddy maybe I didn't make my self clear enough sorry.
But the idea is to use the 3 MBB sim in the E65, and use skype/firing or the plusnet voip to make calls.
Can you use the plusnet voip *outside* the plusnet adsl service? or is it limited to their IP's ?
puddy
Grafter

Can you use the plusnet voip *outside* the plusnet adsl service? or is it limited to their IP's ?

Do you mean make voip calls from your mobile away from home to make calls? or can you use anybody else voip network?
you dont need to be connected to plusnet adsl service to make voip calls you can use anybody's unprotected wireless service to make voip calls
puddy.
Community Veteran

Yes, can I use the plusnet voip service while away from home, using my 3 mbb sim in the e65.
I know now that I can use the e65 as a cordless voip handset (if I had my WIFI setup) but can I use it like skype to make calls to landlines when off the plusnet network?
Community Veteran

Yes, can I use the plusnet voip service while away from home, using my 3 mbb sim in the e65.

Yes you can, no problem. The sip client in the phone will connect either via Wifi or gprs/Hsdpa. Fring will also work ( i believe ) via both methods. Obviously you incur data charges on gprs/hsdpa depending on your tariff and some mobile operators prohibit voip on their data network but 3 aren't one of them AFAIK.
puddy
Grafter

I know now that I can use the e65 as a cordless voip handset (if I had my WIFI setup) but can I use it like skype to make calls to landlines when off the plusnet network?

yes you can as long as you can find an unprotected internet wireless signal.  The e65 will show you any network protected and unprotected, just log on to the unprotected signal and you can make VoIP calls and you could be anywhere in the world.
If you setup your speedtouch router (716wl) and you’re away from home but have a signal both phone would ring.
One of my friend goes to Spain he calls me sip to sip the calls free.  his parents don’t have the internet at home so he rings them and it cost them 1p per minute.  Or he tells them he got a wireless signal via text they ring him no international codes needed and the calls free because it comes out of the free minutes account they have
I use orbtalk so you’re not tied in just to use the plusnet VoIP service.  Orbtalk give you a UK std code number free other charge £2.50 a month
The e65 like having a cordless phone you can use worldwide but works the same as a UK landline
puddy