cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any thoughts on Linksys by Cisco SPA941?

Fixes: 101

Any thoughts on Linksys by Cisco SPA941?

Was having a look around broadbandbuyer and saw this doesn't seem too bad a price.
Just want a phone for my desk in the study as that's the only place I use VOIP.
Cheers.
Will Moderate For Thanks
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: Any thoughts on Linksys by Cisco SPA941?

If you're going to pay that sort of price why not look at the Siemens A580IP here http://www.home-phones.co.uk/home-phones/siemens-dect-cordless-phones/siemens-gigaset-a580ip-phone/.
It's a little cheaper and you get a DECT phone you can use anywhere. Also if you plug it into the landline as well then you can use it for both Voip and landline calls. If you want to pay a little more then you could look at the C475IP ( I use one ) which includes an answerphone as well. http://www.home-phones.co.uk/skype-and-voip-telephony/voip-sip-phones/siemens-gigaset-c475ip-voip-an...

Thanks MisterW...
I don't have a landline point in my room and I wanted something that I could plug a headset into as I am often on conference calls and prefer to get some real work done whilst in one  Smiley
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

You can certainly plug a headset into the C475, although I've never tried.
From the manual
Connection socket for headset
You can connect various headset types (with 2.5 mm jack connector), including HAMA
Plantronics M40, MX100 and MX150.
A compatibility list of tested headsets is available on the Internet at:
www.plantronics.com/productfinder

Not on the 580 though ( just checked the manual ) , no socket...
Community Veteran

I don't have a landline point in my room

You realise that doesnt matter... The base unit plugs into the router and landline, and the handset with charger can go anywhere. Even with only one handset,it is supplied in its own cradle/charger and does not sit in the base unit. 

I planned to have it plugged into the switch in my room, another box next to the router and existing dect phones wouldn't go down well with SWMBO.
Thanks again for the info  Smiley
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

another box next to the router and existing dect phones wouldn't go down well with SWMBO

Aah! well say no more , you've got to keep the boss happy!
Funnily enough thats the reason I got the C475. I wanted SWMBO to make use of voip minutes to calls her sister  but she wouldn't use either a headset or a USB phone. So I got the C475 and configured it to default to voip during the week for outgoing calls ( BT gives me free ones at the weekend ). Of course SWMBO just picks up the phone and dials, she has no idea whether its using voip or PSTN ( and probably doesnt care!! )
Guthlac

I wanted SWMBO to make use of voip minutes to calls her sister  but she wouldn't use either a headset or a USB phone.
This is almost the exact reason I posted recently regarding the Trust ST1200 when you gave some good advice. We have 120 free minutes on Plusnet and free evening and weekend calls with BT so, being a true Yorkshireman, I want to make the most of this.
My wife will not (for some wierd reason) use headphones which is why I am intending to go for some form of ATA . However, whilst I get my head round what is available, what works well, easy to set up etc, a cheap USB phone might be an answer in order to get her to use VoIP during the day. Having looked on Amazon and eBay there are quite a lot to be had at cheap prices however, I get the impression that many may be locked as they are advertised for Skype. Is this something I need to look out for or would any USB phone work as a replacement for the headphones?
Your input would be greatly appreciated (again)
Martin

Community Veteran

Martin,
and free evening and weekend calls with BT

I only get free weekend calls so I have even more incentive!
I get the impression that many may be locked as they are advertised for Skype. Is this something I need to look out for or would any USB phone work as a replacement for the headphones?

OK, USB phones ( the simple ones, not the ones with complicated base units, just a handset and USB lead ) basically consist of three things, a earpiece , microphone and keyboard and sometimes a display ( ok maybe thats four things ). The earpiece and microphone are supported by standard windows drivers so when you plug in the phone, Windows creates a USB Audio device with input and output. So without any additional software you can set your voip software ( Sjphone for example ) to use the USB audio input/output and you can use the USB phone microphone and earpiece. However you will not be able to use the keyboard and display, you need to use the computer keyboard to enter phone numbers and make/accept calls.
Now , most of these phones you see advertised as Skype compatible have additonal software ( e.g SkypeMate ) which allows the keyboard and display to work with Skype. There is software available for some of the phones, and this is where it gets tricky, that will allow the keyboard and display to work with SjPhone and X-Lite.
So, you ask, which ones?
Well I know the Yealink USB-P1K does because I have one and use it with SJPhone on my laptop. This phone is also rebranded and sold by US Robotics as the USR 9600.
This one on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/RYOTECH-Internet-Telephone-speaker-supports/dp/B000Z9E0WA/ref=pd_ts_ce_17?ie... looks remarkably like the USB-P1k
as does this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sogatel-VISTA-compatible-screen-Silver/dp/B000YL4Z1A/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=e... and quite a few of the others. There is a review on the second one with someone confirming they have used it with voipbuster. Strange how the price varies so wildy for the different colours ?
Actually the sogatel website pretty much confirms its a P1K http://www.sogatel.com/drivers/USB-P1K(USBhandphoneforskype).pdf. It also has drivers to download for X-lite/SjPhone although they are not as up to date as the yealink site http://www.yealink.com/en/download.asp?tag=others.
Hope that helps,
Ian
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: adiewoo
Was having a look around broadbandbuyer and saw this doesn't seem too bad a price.
Just want a phone for my desk in the study as that's the only place I use VOIP.
Cheers.

I would recommend a Grandstream GXP2000 or 2020 they are excellent quality and the 2000 model has a headset socket.  I feel they are better quality than Linksys.  Have a look on Grandstream web site they sometimes have open box offers.  I myself feel out of all my voip phones the Grandstream gxp2000 is the most reliable
puddy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Someone has the same phone in our office.
If they're in today, I'll try and ask them what they think of it.

@puddy, was trying to keep costs down without going too cheap - Grandstreams seem to be about 120..
@Anotherone appreciated, thanks.
Will Moderate For Thanks
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: adiewoo

Grandstreams seem to be about 120

http://www.grandstream.co.uk/
You can get one for £48.29
or Grandstream BT-201 IP Phone £40 inc vat
puddy
Guthlac

Thanks again MisterW.
All of this is a great help to a newbie. It's akin to starting out with the web site a number of years ago when setting up a domain and corresponding email address's seemed like a black art.
Martin
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: Guthlac
Thanks again MisterW.
All of this is a great help to a newbie. It's akin to starting out with the web site a number of years ago when setting up a domain and corresponding email address's seemed like a black art.
Martin

we were all newbies once
we always try to help if you have a problem
I check this forum everyday and so does MisterW but we have not seen plusnet staff in lately
puddy