cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed on Siemens GigaSet Phones

xtabvbcity

Advice needed on Siemens GigaSet Phones

Hi All,  I'm new to the forum and have been reading through the info on Broadband phones.  Seems like the Siemens 475IP or 675IP are the most recommended.
  Just want to be sure I understand how this Broadband/Home Phone thing all works though. 
So my questions are:
  I think that  the Siemens Phone Dock connects to my router by a cable?    Does the required cable come with the phone?
  If it doesn't come with the phone, do I just need a standard Cat 5 network cable with an RJ45 on both ends?  Or does the Siemens end have a different connector type?  (My router has four standard LAN ports available)
  And I've read a lot of feedback on phone sellers' sites, where buyers have said that doing the configuration is 'a nightmare'.  Have people here found that to be the case?  I'd plan to do as much config as I can on the PC/web interface, not on the handset, if that's an option.

Finally, I also read a few posts on other sites where people have had trouble with the firmware upgrade.  Has anyone here had this problem?
  That's a lot of questions for a first time poster, sorry, but any advice on any of these questions would be really appreciated.   
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: Advice needed on Siemens GigaSet Phones

Hi,
I've had a C475IP for about 4 months now and I think its great!!
So to answer your questions..
I think that  the Siemens Phone Dock connects to my router by a cable?    Does the required cable come with the phone?

Yes & Yes. It also connects to your landline ( if you wish to use it as a dual phone ) and it comes with that cable as well!
  And I've read a lot of feedback on phone sellers' sites, where buyers have said that doing the configuration is 'a nightmare'.  Have people here found that to be the case?  I'd plan to do as much config as I can on the PC/web interface, not on the handset, if that's an option.

I didn't think it was difficult ( but then I do work in the IT business ), but it does have a lot of options.
It is a sophisticated phone after all , it can handle 3 calls simultaneously , 6 voip accounts , and an answer phone.
So it isnt ever going to be trivial to setup.
Yes you can do ( almost ) all the config from the web interface and that's the way to do it.
Finally, I also read a few posts on other sites where people have had trouble with the firmware upgrade.  Has anyone here had this problem?

Can't answer that I'm afraid as mine hasnt needed a firmware upgrade yet. You can disable the automatic firmware upgrade from the web interface though.
As I said I think its a great phone, I have dial plans setup on mine and I set the default line ( simple keystroke sequence on the handset ) to voip during the week ( when BT charge me for calls ) so that I use my voip minutes, and then set it to PSTN at the weekend ( when BT calls are free ). It means the reset of the family can use the voip system without having to mess with another phone etc
BTW Seimens now do a 580IP which is slightly cheaper but doesnt have an answer phone.
If you have any more questions I'm glad to help.
Community Veteran

Thanks guys - I'm in the same boat - and found the replies very helpful.
But I think it would be helpful if Plusnet put some more help pages on the website - with recommended phones that would work on their system .

Community Veteran

Here's http://gigaset.com/shc/0,1935,hq_en_0_160891_rArNrNrNrN,00.html the details on the A580 IP if you want to look at it.
It seems good value if you dont want an answerphone built in, I've seen it at about £59 whereas the C475 IP is about £75 ( for single handset versions )
You can also download the full manuals from the website so if you're going to get one you can have a chance to get familiar with it before it arrives!!!
Community Veteran

Ta
which model has answer phone too please ?
and any recommendations for where to buy it - online and also at other high street stores ?
Community Veteran

The C475IP and the S685IP have answerphones.
I got mine from here http://www.home-phones.co.uk/skype-and-voip-telephony/voip-sip-phones/
xtabvbcity

Thanks MisterW for all that info.  Just what I needed!
But You've got me curious now when you sayr:
I have dial plans setup on mine and I set the default line ( simple keystroke sequence on the handset ) to voip during the week ( when BT charge me for calls ) so that I use my voip minutes, and then set it to PSTN at the weekend ( when BT calls are free ). It means the reset of the family can use the voip system without having to mess with another phone etc

I thought I had to switch my land line from BT to PlusNet, (the £9.99 home phone package) but you've got me thinking that I've got it wrong.  From the way you describe this, it sounds as though I can just take a Broadband phone option for the VOIP - and keep the BT account for the landline connection?
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: xtabvbcity

I thought I had to switch my land line from BT to PlusNet, (the £9.99 home phone package) but you've got me thinking that I've got it wrong.  From the way you describe this, it sounds as though I can just take a Broadband phone option for the VOIP - and keep the BT account for the landline connection?

yes you can keep your landline with BT.
The phone works like this
Their a box tricks that come with it has 3 wires to connect 1 to your BT landline box1 to connect to a free port on your router and 1 power cable.
To make a landline call enter the number  press the call  button and release the call goes via you BT landline.  To make a voip call do the same again but hold the dial button for 4 seconds and then release the call button and goes via plusnets voip service. (the phone does have a address book so choose the number from their)
I have dial plans setup on mine and I set the default line ( simple keystroke sequence on the handset ) to voip during the week ( when BT charge me for calls ) so that I use my voip minutes, and then set it to PSTN at the weekend ( when BT calls are free ). It means the reset of the family can use the voip system without having to mess with another phone etc

As xtabvbcity said you can change it to work the other way round from my settings if you want!!! I dont use dial plans because i dont have kids but I use it as a extra free line and to make free sip to sip calls
  And I've read a lot of feedback on phone sellers' sites, where buyers have said that doing the configuration is 'a nightmare'.  Have people here found that to be the case?   I'd plan to do as much config as I can on the PC/web interface, not on the handset, if that's an option

You can do all the setting and your computer if you wish, my siemens ip phone was the easiest phone to setup out of 4 voip phones I have. The phone is very easy to use even my mrs use's it everyday.  Eveything you need to setup this phone  i.e. BT cables  cat cables power cord etc. comes with it
My Gigaset firmware 460ip updated its firmware itself and I have had no problems afterwards. In addition the setup was easier than all my other VoIP phones.
We all help each other out if you need or encounter problems with most VoIP phones.
The Siemens Gigaset goes one better because you can make free calls to other Gigaset  ip dect phone users.
Word of warning when looking to buy a Siemens VoIP dect phone make sure it has "ip" in the model name i.e. C460ip dect otherwise you could end up with a none VoIP phone. If you only want one VoIP account go for the C460ip dect otherwise the C475 ip dect will suit you
puddy
ps  to setup the phone to call otheir gigaset ip users dial 1188#9 and choose a nickname.  To make a Gigaset ip call 1188#9 enter nickname press ok >start search press ok >and the name/s will show up choose the one you want >press dial key.  These calls are free  please note these calls are nothing to do with plusnet voip service

Community Veteran

Yes, as Puddy says you can keep the BT landline. The phone works with any existing landline, you just plug it into an existing phone socket and plug the network connection into a spare port on the router, then configure your voip providers details in. I use the phone in exactly the way you suggest, I use the PlusNet Broadband phone facility but have my landline directly with BT.
There are a number of ways in which you determine whether a normal ( non SIP ) call uses voip or landline, holding the dial button as Puddy says, the Phone/IP display keys, dial plans and the default line as I use, or suffixing the call with a line identifier e.g 0123456789#0 will dial via landline whereas 0123456789#1 will dial via the first voip connection.

xtabvbcity

Guys,
Thank you so much for all the info.  That's really helped.
I'll go for the keep BT/use VOIP option for now.
This is going to be an interesting experiment.  The reason for trying VOIP is that our (old, rural Scotland, 7 miles from exchange) phone line picks up a buzzing every few weeks.  Countless BT engineer visits have failed to fix it, but it's definitely external (i.e nothing in the house causing it).
I use google talk and skype quite a lot and the sound quality is good all the time, so my theory is that if I use VOIP during those weeks when the landline is poor I'm hoping to get a clear line on the Siemens handset with VOIP.  That's the plan, anyway.  The only way to find if it works is to try it.................
Thanks again for the advice.
xtabvbcity

Just a quick follow up while I'm waiting for my "Welcome email" from PlusNet for the Broadband Phone deal.
  I noticed that the info on some retailers' sites say that Siemens phones have Headset connectors.    Does anyone know if these are standard RJ11s?  (I have  Plantronics headset that I could probably use with it, if so).
  To keep within budget I might have to settle for the A580IP instead of the C475IP that I originally was aiming for.  (People selling the 460IP all seem to want the same price as a 475IP, which is surprising, but I think it - the 460 - is about to be discontinued anyway).
Community Veteran

From the C475IP manual
Connection socket for headset
You can connect various headset types (with 2.5 mm jack connector), including HAMA
Plantronics M40, MX100 and MX150.
A compatibility list of tested headsets is available on the Internet at:
www.plantronics.com/productfinder

The A580IP doesnt seem to have a headset connector according to the manual
You're right, the 460 is probably going to be discontinued I think.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: MisterW
You're right, the 460 is probably going to be discontinued I think.

Yes thats correct but it dosen't make it a bad phone, but the C460ip main problem for some is the fact it can only have 1 voip account.
Puddy
xtabvbcity

main problem for some is the fact it can only have 1 voip account.

Just when I think I know what I'm doing, another question pops up  Smiley 
  I'm guessing that there must be advantages to having more than one VOIP account (as you guys definitely know what you're doing here), but I'm not sure what they would be.  Is it that some offer additional features, some are cheaper for different types of calls .....  ?
Community Veteran

Is it that some offer additional features, some are cheaper for different types of calls .....  ?

Probably.
I must admit although I have a SipGate account I dont think I've ever used it other than for testing.
I guess if you need a line always free for incoming calls ( i.e a business or lots of people in the household ) then multiple accounts can be useful. Assuming that you have enough handsets that is!! to make ( or take ) all those calls simultaneously.