cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few questions about adaptors

gah

A few questions about adaptors

Hi,
I'm thinking of getting a VoIP adaptor (ATA) to use a 'normal' phone for VoIP calls via my Plusnet broadband. Probably the Linksys PAP2 or Flexor151.
1) If I use one of these adaptors, will *all* calls from the phone be VoIP? Is it possible to select somehow whether a particular call should go via VoIP or PSTN?
2) The Flexor151 has an FXO port (for connection to the PSTN), so will the phone ring for incoming PSTN calls? i.e. incoming calls are PSTN (or VoIP) and outgoing calls are VoIP.

Thanks,
Gareth.
6 REPLIES
puddy
Grafter

Re: A few questions about adaptors

Yes all calls will be voip your best bet for a adaptor is the linksys pap-2 you can get them of ebay for just under £16.
To make normal calls and voip calls from one device is to get a siemens ip dect phones. Press and release the dial button it makes a voip call or press the dial button and hold it for 3 seconds it will make a normal landline call . They are dect/cordless phones and can add more hand sets if you wish.
If you have a nokia E65 N82 N95 and N95-8gb you can make voip calls (orange and vodaphone need de-branding) from them
puddy
itsme
Grafter

The Flexor 151 will handle both VoIP and PSTN calls, so long as you plug the FXO port into the phone line Wink By default all outgoing calls will use VoIP to make a PSTN call pressing the R(ecall) button will switch to PSTN. Will handle both VoIP and PSTN incoming calls.
The unit also has 2 ethernet ports so do not lost ports on you hub or router. Gradwell sell the 151 and I believe they offer a 10% discount. 
gah

Thanks for the replies. The Flexor 151 sounds quite good and £30 and a 10% discount from Gradwell isn't bad at all.
Some more questions...
If I had one of these adaptors on a 'normal' phone, could I also use, say, a PC to make calls too? I'd assume not at the same time, but could they both be plugged in at the same time (i.e. normal phone + adaptor connected, and PC switched on) so I could use either?
Also, if you want to convert or have multiple VoIP phones, what do you do? Can you have multiple analogue phones connected to an adaptor? Or do you have to have multiple adaptors - one for each phone? Can you even have multiple adaptors going to one PlusNet Broadband Phone account? I know about the cordless DECT-style phones + handsets.
Finally, is it possible to connect a modem for sending faxes to one of these adaptors? Do faxes work over IP? Assuming they do and faxes are sent to 01 and 02 numbers, these would be included in the monthly minutes bundled with the broadband package, wouldn't they?
Thanks for you help!
Gareth.
puddy
Grafter

a pap2-na adapter is only £16!
I have 2 mobile phones a grandstream GXP2000 and a siemens 460ip dect phone all working from my speedtouch 716wl v5 wireless router
The grandstream and siemens phone plug in to a unmanaged swith port that plugs in to the router (ran out of ports) and the nokia phones connect to the router wireless.
all ring when a call comes in and I think you can make a call on another phone thats free at the same time
puddy
gah

OK. Thanks for all the replies.
The reason I'm favouring the Flexor is because it can handle PSTN calls too.
Puddy... do all your devices share the same PlusNet Broadband Phone account? i.e. do they all log in with the same username/password?
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: gah

OK. Thanks for all the replies.

Puddy... do all your devices share the same PlusNet Broadband Phone account? i.e. do they all log in with the same username/password?

yes they do and they all have the same port number 5060 and all ring on incoming calls

puddy