cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A VOIP newby has a BT Voyager 220v

loungehake
Dabbler

A VOIP newby has a BT Voyager 220v

I have a BT Voyager 220v which has a VOIP capability.  Can this device be used in conjunction with PlusNet Broadband Phone?  I have unlocked it from BT only.
I am a complete newby as far as VOIP is concerned.  So low am I on the learning curve that I am looking up a steep very tall cliff face.
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Re: A VOIP newby has a BT Voyager 220v

First question , do you actually have a Broadband phone account ? as new accounts are not available now to residential customers.
Assuming you do have one then have a look at this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=1329.0
The information in there is a bit old and has changed since the service was hosted by Gradwell but the princple of configuring the 220v is the same.
As to the information that has changed
registrar should be sip.plus.net:5060
obproxy should be nat.plus.net:5082
proxy should ( probably! ) be sip.plus.net:5060
'Username' should be your 7 digit sip ID and 'password' your sip password.
Hope that helps.
Post back with any queries and do let us know if it works
loungehake
Dabbler

Thank you for responding.  I have a Broadband account from quite a while back.  Having been with PlusNet for eleven years, I have picked up a few products on the way.  I want to try VOIP for the sheer interest.
I will make use of the information you have kindly made available to me and put some feedback onto this thread.
Community Veteran

No problem, happy to help.
One thing though, I'm not sure how long VoIP accounts will stay active if not used.
PAYG accounts certainly lose the number if not used for a few months...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

If they have credit they shouldn't expire surely?
Mind you mine is connected all the time but not actually used a lot.
Community Veteran

I've found the FAQ http://www.plus.net/support/phone/broadband_phone/newbbpfaq.shtml#deactivation
8. What happens if I don't use my Broadband Phone account?
If you're a Broadband Phone PAYG Customer:
You'll need to use Broadband Phone for at least 2 minutes each month; otherwise your landline number will be removed and given to someone else.
If you use any other type of Broadband Phone account:
Nothing.
Community Veteran

I don't believe that is strictly enforced. I last used my PAYG VoIP phone on October 18th, generally only making a couple of calls a month. I've had no threat of number or service removal.
loungehake
Dabbler

I'm getting to grips with setting up Broadband Phone but am stumped on one piece of information I need:  SIP number.
The PlusNet help points me to the Broadband Phone control panel.  There I can find neither hair nor hide of 'SIP number'.  It must be called something else but what?
Sad
RealAleMadrid
Pro
Fixes: 7

Just to repeat a previous question - Do you have a PlusNet Voip Phone account otherwise known as Broadband Phone PAYG. If you do then I would suggest the number you are looking for is the 7 digit SIP ID provided in the e-mail sent by PlusNet when the Voip account was activated, mine is 640xxxx. This number is also the account username. I find the Voip phone very useful for making  a few daytime calls as I get 120 minutes free each month from a legacy BB product I used to be on. Hope this info is helpful.
Community Veteran

There I can find neither hair nor hide of 'SIP number'.  It must be called something else but what?
As said above , it's the one in the welcome email. It's referred to as Extension in the voip control panel. If you select Account Overview from the control panel it will show the Extension number.
fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Most interesting.  Coincidentally, I would like to help a friend with the BT Voyager 220v modem, use the Voyager to access a SIP a/c.
Where can I find info that describes what I should do?
Additionally, can anyone advise a good SIP for, in particular, calls to the USA and New Zealand?
Regards.....Noel
Community Veteran

fotobits
Rising Star

Many thanks MisterW, however, the two links don't work!
http://www.voipuser.org/forum_topic_4119.html
http://www.voipuser.org/forum_topic_5206.html
I presume these explain how to access the modem.
Regards.....Noel
Community Veteran

Ah! , didn't realise those links were dead. You need to telnet into the 220v and then use the 'voice' commands to configure it.
Translating the info in that old thread to the current PlsuNet BB phone settings gives:
voice set registrar sip.plus.net:5060
voice set obproxy nat.plus.net:5082
voice set proxy sip.plus.net:5060
Now the tricky bit
voice set phone1 num:callername:UserName:passwd
'Username' should be your 7 digit SIP ID and 'passwd' your Sip password. As to 'num' my guess would be your voip phone number and 'callername' its anyones guess but I would start by using your SIP id again

Hope that helps
fotobits
Rising Star

Many thanks MisterW.
Actually and to show my ignorance, how do you get into the Voyager 220v?  You say Telnet into the Voyager....what do you mean by that?
I am used to gaining access into my PlusNet modem, my Siemen's phone adapter and, indeed their Xycel predecessors by using a supplied URL in Explorer.
Thanks for the settings for the PlusNet Broadband phone, however, my friend will be unable to use PlusNet's offering and I'm looking for a quality alternative.....particularly for USA and New Zealand connections.
Regards and thank you so much for your interest and tolerance!
Noel