cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

zoom usb modem drops connection

N/A

my modem drops the connection randomly and frequently. I have gone through the settings and checked everything, even going as far as redownloading the USB ver.2.0 drivers and installing it. This seems to have no effect. It all started about 3 days ago.I am running windows xp sp1. Any ideas appreciated.
11 REPLIES
N/A

Is the power supply getting to your modem? Frequently, USB Modems lose power because USB ports are crap. If your modem is plugged directly into the mains and doesn't draw power from the USB port, you've got the same problem as I do and I can't be of much help.
N/A

If you have a 5510 usb modem then it's probably the psu not up to it, get a self powered hub and run it from that.

Had exactly the same problem with my Zoom 5510, but it turned out my psu was knackered anyway.
N/A

IT IS a 5510, but I've never had a problem with it until now.I will get a powered usb hub and see if it helps. Thanks.
N/A

found out it was the psu,but not before it took my board out with its last breath . Thank GOD there was a 7n8x deluxe lying around. :lol:
N/A

hi

i had the identical problem to you with the zoom modem. i could not even download e-mail!!!!

Plus net where of no help what so ever. After weeks of nagging Plus net they sent out a BT engineer. He stated that the line was perfectly fine and he got great speeds on his laptop.

He suggested i change the modem to a Alcatel Speedtouch usb modem (the green one). i purchased one from www.dslshop.co.uk and guess what everything is working much better.

so i would suggest change modem and once your 12 month contract is up change to a different ISP
N/A

I had exactly the same problem with that make and model of modem. I too have ordered a Speedtouch 330 from that supplier but unfortunately it has been delayed by the snow. Sad
N/A

If the psu is faulty or underpowered then the Zoom modem is the first to give up, one of it's failings i'm afraid, but once the supply is sorted then the Zoom is a great usb modem.
N/A

sorry @reset not quite true.

I was given the same advise by someone and went on-line and purchased a powered USB hothub for £17.

What a waste of money since it made no improvement

Just because one person had a doggy PCU it does not mean we all do
Community Veteran

There are 2 types of powered hubs - one that only supplies voltage and does not boost the current from the USB port and one that boosts both voltage and current. It is the 2nd of these you need to solve power issues with USB ADSL modems.

Was it a USB 1.0, 1.1 or 2.0 powered hub?
N/A

a USB 2.0 powered hub :lol:
N/A

reset - I tried the Zoom modem on two different computers (running different different versions of Windows). They both exhibited the same behaviour.

IMO you shouldn't have to buy a powered hub to get a modem to work properly. Zoom should have designed it to be less power hungry (if that is the real problem).