xbox connection to ethernet set up problem

Help!
I am trying to instal an x box onto an ethernet
connection.

The modem is an eTec Ethernet/USB ADSL Modem router pt3810

I have got the modem connected to computer via usb and
all is working well on line.
I cannot get the xbox to work though.I have the xbox
plugged into a tv and the Ethernet port on the modem.
When I try to connect "Connect Status shows "cables
connected"but IP is not confirmed. I then go to settings
on the xbox.It will not find settings on automatic.In
Manual config' it asks for IP address,Subnet Mask and
Gateway.Where do I get these settings from?
Hope you can help.

[Moderator's note (by acarr): Duplicate message removed. Please only post one message, they can be read by all regardless of the forum]
11 REPLIES
N/A

This router has built in dhcp so all you need to do is set the xbox to get the ip etc automaticaly and it should work.

I dont know the Xbox so I assume it can use dhcp if not you would have to set a pc to get the ip autometicaly and see what ip etc it gets then put those details into your Xbox + 1 so if you ran ipconfig /all and the ip was 10.0.0.2 then set the xbox to 10.0.0.3 with the same gateway and subnet.
N/A

x box dns settings

Thanks for you help
We now have ip settings configured
ip address is 10.0.0.3
subnet mask is 255.0.0.0
gateway is 10.0.0.2

we are stuck now on DNS settings
our plusnet settings are
These do not work.
Xbox gives error message "The DNS servers could not be reached.Verify the DNS Server addresses match the settings provided by your ISP". They do!
but it doesnt work
More help much appreciated!!
N/A

You could try a diffrent dns. Try 194.119.131.66 + 194.119.131.65. On some routers they have there own dns setting so you could try setting dns to the router if that is the case.

Are you sur ethe subnett is the same as the routers?
N/A

xbox dns settings problem

Thanks for your help
Here are the ipconfig/all settings
what do you think is wrong?

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Computer
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Conexant USB Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-30-CD-05-01-91
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.159.59.97
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 212.159.59.97
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.159.13.49
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 09 November 2003 12:52:14
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 09 November 2003 12:53:14
N/A

On the figures you have given us set the xbox up as follows

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.159.59.98
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 212.159.59.97
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.159.13.49

but the figures dont add up the router if the router is the dhcp server the ip range is way off the mark and if the printout is from a pc it has the gateway set to its self

Are you sure nothing else is doing dhcp?

Ping 10.0.0.2 if you get a reply from the router change the address as folows.

Pc 10.0.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 gateway 10.0.0.2 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.159.13.49

the xbox should be 10.0.0.3 subnet 255.255.255.0 gateway 10.0.0.2 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.159.13.49

If you dont get a reply then you ned to find out the ip of the router and as I said before the ip of the router is the default gateway and your xbox ip should be one up from the router and the same subnet and dns.

There could be confusion as some usb have in efect to network cards on the cp and you bridge the connection.
N/A

xbox setup problem

Thanks again for your help.
I'm a bit lost now though!
Where do I change this?
Pc 10.0.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 gateway 10.0.0.2 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.159.13.49
N/A

My understanding is your eTec ADSL device offers both a USB and Ethernet connection, which -- according to the manual I looked at -- may be used concurrently, and you have your PC connected to it by USB, and the X-Box by Ethernet.

So, to put it another way, as far as the PC is concerned, the eTec is a USB-attached ADSL modem. As far as the X-Box is concerned, the eTec is an Ethernet attached ADSL Router.

Conventionally with USB attached modems, the PC to which the modem is attached acquires the public IP address (the 212.159.59.97 address, which is what "ktravis.plus.com" resolves to), and this is exactly what seems to have happened in your case, judging from the output from the ipconfig /all. So, perfectly standard for a USB modem.

The X-Box seems to have been dished out with the IP address 10.0.0.3, with the router having the address 10.0.0.2. Perfectly standard for an ADSL router.

How these two can fit together at the same time isn't clear to me at the moment.

Does the X-Box provide a web browser -- what happens if you browse to 10.0.0.2? Do you see the configuration screens for the eTec?

Have you tried the eTec with just the X-Box connected to it? (The manual says bothe USB and Ethernet can be used at the same time, but it's not unknown for manuals to be wrong.)
N/A

xbox dns problem

The xbox doesn't have a web browser. Although using the PC, we can see the configuration screens for the eTEC modem when browsing 10.0.0.2 on the pc

Looking through these settings, the only DNS numbers I can see are the ones we manually entered, that Plusnet told us to use (212.159.13.49 / 212.159.13.50)

We've tried connecting just the xbox to the eTec, but still have the same problem (DNS not resolved).
N/A

I have a ZOOM X4 model 5551 ADSL modem.

I am currently trying to connect to XBOX live using the above mentioned modem. I have no problems connecting to the net using my pc but when I plug the Ethernet cable into the Modem and try connecting to the XBL it fails. it seems to find the IP address and DNA servers but fails to reach XBOX live. Can someone help me please as I'm close to smashing the hell out of it!! :-)

P.s. oh yeah, im trying to do this through the direct connection route. (I.e. Xbox plugged directly into the modem via RJ45 ethernet cable)
N/A

These kind of units, that support both USB and LAN connections
simultaneously operate in USB - LAN Bridge mode.
So I would try going to the router set up page and find
how to enable bridge mode and DHCP server at the same time.
This in theory will connect both the X box via LAN and PC via USB.
If it doesn't work then you could use router configuration but you'll need
to connect both the pc and x-box via ethernet using a 4 port hub /switch
attached to the router.
X box needs UDP ports 88 &3074 and TCP 3074 open, so if running
in router mode I would check that you are able to configure the NAT rules
or that the router supports X box before spending any more money.
Another option is to fit a network card to the pc and connect the X box with
ICS (internet connection sharing).
Alec
N/A

Thanks Alec, I tried ICS and that didn't work either on my XBox. However on my friends XBox (an XBox with an XBox Live account already installed on it) I just plugged it into the modem directly and it worked fine immediately. I tried switching over to my XBox and it just wouldn't connect. I think maybe I should take the XBox into the retailer and explain to them the problem. Anyway, thanks for your reply it was most appreciated.

Brandon