cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireless security

N/A

wireless security

Hi
A friend has told me that my wireless connection is open to attack as i dont have encyption enabled. I have an etec pt 3818 wireless router. When i open the config screen i am able to change the default user name and password, but when i try to enale encryption the system crashes. I can still get a strong wireless signal, but the net connection goes down and the only way to fix it is to turn of the router and then start it up again. My mate recons that i have a faulty piece of equipment. I got the router through Evesham Micros. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Should i stop using it and use my old usb dsl modem untill i have it sorted?
Please help.
Thanks in advance
Gary
7 REPLIES
N/A

wireless security

If you can't use encryption at the moment, try seeing if you can tie down the access point to only allow connections from your specific MAC addresses, this is probably more secure than encryption anyway.

I don't know how to do it, I haven't got wireless at home, but I've heard of people who have used encryption & specific MAC idenities

If you don't get encryption sorted then your home Lan is open to attack, but this is probably quite unlikely. More of a worry would be a neighbour or a Wardriver freeloading on your Net connection.

The question of stopping use depends on how paranoid you are, I certainly wouldn't use unprotected wireless in a block of flats, but if I was out in the sticks then I wouldn't worry too much.

Look for Firmware upgrades for your Router, if you've got a problem, someone else has probably also had it & sorted the problem, do a search on Google for your Router - bet you'll find the answer

Try this link

http://www.portforward.com/etec/pt3818.htm

Jeff
N/A

wireless security

Hi Jeff
Many thanks for your help. I will do a search for the things you have sugested and try and sort some protection out asap.
Regards
Gary
N/A

wireless security

Hi
Just got a replacement router today and the encryption works fine. Phew! lol
Thanks for the help.
Best wishes
Gary
Eserim
Rising Star

wireless security

Even so Iwould still set the router to limit the PCs that it will allow to connect.

I have a wireless home setup and for some reason with WEP enabled I can't share files. So I have switched it off but only allow the two PCs to connect to the router.

To hack this, someone has to wait and listen to the traffic until a permitted PC connects then pull out the MAC number from the data stream.

Also, if you can, and I can on my Netgear, disable the broadcast of the SSID, your network identifyter. All of this makes it harder for the casual hacker next door.

CHawke
chino
Grafter

wireless security

yeh what i would have is 128mb wep encry though this can be cracked once the person has 1-4 million packets of data. Also lock the network to the MAC address though if you can get the MAC address from the data packets (which you should be able to) then you can even spoof this. Last of all don't have an SSID as this makes it harder to connect to the network.

It does not matter what got setup as you can get around all of it though it just takes time but setup MAC address and web and this will stop war drivers though would not stop somone who lives local to yourself.

cUnDaLl

Ps if you see a black punto shut down your access point / router or there will be no bandwidth left (private joke)
N/A

wireless security

Hi
Thanks all for the tips. The last 2 post's have im affraid left me a bit stumpped and i will have to look at my router manual before i attempt any of the things suggested. It certainly is a minefield isn't it? Cheesy
chino
Grafter

wireless security

yeh it is though don't we worried as long as you have wep enabled you should be fine and you can test your router with netstumbler from netstumbler.com and this will show if your wep is turned on.

cUnDaLl