cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows update problem

N/A

windows update problem

having problem using the windows update website in my win xp home, the scanning for updates reaches 100% quickly and returned an error message. it's a newly installed pc. do i have to set up anything? my modem is zoom usb adsl modem 5510. by the way, another pc using win2k works perfectly though. any help will be appreciated.
8 REPLIES
N/A

windows update problem

You shouldn't need to make any changes. Could you tell us exactly what the error message is? It could be browser related.
Community Veteran

windows update problem

It's usually caused by firewall problems. In my place of work they use a software based proxy system through to a cisco pix, somewhere inbetween these two its stops the updates from working. I have to go through manually and download everything onto our fileserver and then transfer manually. As you can guess it doesnt get done much Sad

Check google for help by sticking in the specific error message, Microsoft's help information isn't too useful.

Chris.
N/A

windows update problem

Have you looked at the Windows Update Troubleshooter at http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/?

Tim
N/A

windows update problem

Many thanks for all replies.
The error message code is 0x800A138F after scanning for updates.
it's a recent clean install and there is no firewall or any other internet related software (there is no software other than the os actually, and all settings are the default ones).
i've checked the microsoft website for the message code but still have not solved it.
there was no problem whatsoever before when i lived on campus and used the lan connection in the university.
N/A

windows update problem

This article explains all about that error message and (hopefully) how to fix it. Give it a try Smiley
Community Veteran

windows update problem

That's the website I found when I got this problem but couldn't post the link cos it was on my machine in work.

Hopefully it will work for you I got 90% through and gave up. If you do get it working let me know.

Chris
N/A

windows update problem

If above doesn't solve problem then run a search and delete all iuctl.dll
files from your system (usually in system 32 and service pack folders).
Also delete the windows update folder in C:/Program Files/Windows Update
(its part of the hidden folders list so go to folder options and check the box
allowing all hidden files and folders)
Then re-run windows update and it should re-install itself and try again.
Also you mention a newly installed pc so ensure the sytem clock is acurate.
N/A

windows update problem

First of all, many thanks for all the replies and helps. They are very helpful and much appreciated. I'm sorry for my belated response as I have been extremely busy for the past few weeks.
However I am quite embarrassed to tell you what exactly caused my problem as it was so stupid. For some reason, the time in my computer was set to year 2002 and I believed it to be right! You can imagine how stupid I felt for myself when I finally realised my extraordinarily stupid mistake.