cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows 95

N/A

windows 95

ay ideas on what kind of modem/router my friend should get for windows 95 ( USB could be a problem you see) so what other options are there?
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

windows 95

Hehe.. you again... Wink

My answer is very simple: a router. Again, if your friend's computer has no ethernet ports, you'll need to make sure that you can get an ethernet card that Windows 95 will support. This may be tricky, seeing as MicroSoft has offically stopped supporting Windows 95 - so have all the hardware manufacturers.

Thomas
N/A

windows 95

ok she`s got a ethernet card Cheesy so you got any ideas on which router to buy ( and is this including a modem in it cos i know u can get ones with them included inside, or should she get a modem AND a router seperatley.
cheers
"me again"
Wink
Community Veteran

windows 95

I use a D-Link DSL-404 which is a router with built in modem and 4 ports so you can even network pc's with it.
It should work fine with windows 95 as the d-link itself does all the internet connecting for you and you just network to it.

Hope this helps?
BoneMan
Grafter

windows 95

I use a D-Link DSL-404 ... shouldwork fine with windows 95 /quote]

Alternatively, the AMX-CA64E which you can still get from http://www.adslnation.com/products/index.php for £90 (+P&P) but does include support - or its newer brother, the PAE-CE84 from www.dabs.com (Quicklinx 17P8WS) for £55 (+P&P) but don't expect any support Sad . My AMX-64 has served me well and reliably for the last 12 months. Just don't get into files, audio and video via MSN Messenger - for that you'll need a uPNP router/modem - but as you're still using Win95 that probably won't bother you anyway Wink .

Regards,

BoneMan
N/A

windows 95

more on these uPNP router/modems please, they sound like what i need as we do a fair amount of video confrencing from our homes.
BoneMan
Grafter

windows 95

MM,
For uPNP routers, best to have a look at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/ and/or search that website for uPNP. However not sure you need uPNP just for video-conferencing - only if you're doing it via MSN Messenger. Also AFAIK you need to be running Windows XP (or Win98?) to support uPNP. As you specifically mentioned Win95, I assumed that uPNP was not available to you Sad . Posting in the appropriate forum on ADSLGuide will probably get you a better answer than here on +Net Wink

Regards,

BoneMan
N/A

windows 95

ok then thanks for all that Smiley she`s thinking about a solwise router/modem has all the bells etc + uPnP she`s upgrading to 98 so she should get support for it. thanks for all the info.

Cheesy Cheesy