cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will home users ever get a !mb account?

N/A

will home users ever get a !mb account?

It seems that if I signup for a bussiness account I can get speeds of 1mbit or even 2mbit.

So why are these accounts not available to home user signups?.

The lines are the same, the equipment is the same & the whole process is the same.

In fact I'll no doubt be able to signup as a bussiness user & get either 1mbit or 2mbit at home.

So why are these faster speeds not available on a home user account?. And are there any plans to do so in the near future?.

I mean I'd upgrade to 1mbit tomorrow was it available for the home user accounts, & I'm sure others would too.

Tom Jones

10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

RE: will home users ever get a !mb account?

> I mean I'd upgrade to 1mbit tomorrow was it available for the home user accounts, & I'm sure others would too.

So would I, unfortuatly BT do not offer ISPs a 1mb service. But you can always sign up for a business account.

Chris
N/A

I have doubts weather this is the case for not having faster speeds for the home user m8. It seems all to easy to blame BT for this. I'm sure that Plusnet could sort something out for us home users. even if it's only a 1mbit option. Afterall the only real difference is the name of the account (Home & Business), there is no physical difference at all apart from one costing more than the other

If it cant be done, is it therefor not possable to transfer to a bussiness account in the future, within the fist 12 months?.

Tom Jones

N/A

Hi David,

BT Business products have a contention ratio of 20:1 as supposed to residential products which have a contention of 50:1. You can, of course, have a business account at your home (And I know a number of people who do) but I'm afraid these products are significantly more expensive than ADSL Home.

Until BT are able to offer ISPs a residential BT product at a suitable wholesale cost it is obviously not viable for us to target a 1MB product towards residential users. The industry rumours are that a 1MB ADSL Home connection could be going live towards the end of the summer, but this has not yet been confirmed by BT.

I hope that clears up your query, I can assure you that this is a product we would love to offer. Our current 1MB and 2MB products are already very popular as they actually offer the lowest cost, high speed nationally available ADSL connections in the UK.

With Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

Thanks for the reply, having just looked at the buss. options, they are somewhat out of my price range, even if the 2mbit does work out nearly the same as the home account per 512 connection.

I never knew there was a rumour about a 1mbit connection coming at the end of the summer. I hope that the story is true.

Afterall Cable users have been able to receive 1 mbit connection for some time now.

Tom Jones

N/A

Look on ISPR site, a company have started to offer just the service you require on a 50.1 ratio.

Think the company is called Internet Central.

--
Reset
N/A

> Look on ISPR site, a company have started to offer just the service you require on a 50.1 ratio.
>
Also on adslguide
> Think the company is called Internet Central.
>
>
>
>
> --
> Reset

N/A

Hi Reset,

These type of BT Datastream based products are resold by a number of ISPs/OLOs. The trouble with these products is that they are VERY heavily contended because the way they are sold means that 50 people will literally be sharing the same port at the exchange.

Obviously it wil be interesting to see how this pans out, and a Datastream based offering is certainly something we haven't ruled out, it's nothing new though and while competition is making this more viable it still isn't at a point where it competes witht the IPstream platform as used by most ADSL providers.

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

> Hi Reset,
>
> These type of BT Datastream based products are >resold by a number of ISPs/OLOs. The trouble with >these products is that they are VERY heavily >contended because the way they are sold means that >50 people will literally be sharing the same port >at the exchange.

So the PlusNet/BT ADSL service is less contended? I don't quite see what you are saying, surely the contention ratio differs between exchanges.

Unless there is a 1 meg service on offer soon I think I am going to have a look at the Bulldog service available in London. 2Mbps - £39.99, basically 512 during the day 2000 at night time and 400 up stream.

It would be great to know asap if you think plusnet are going to offer a 1Mbps connection Smiley

Oh, and if anyone in CS wants to take a look at ticket 6320428 while they are reading this it would be nice.
N/A

> So the PlusNet/BT ADSL service is less contended? I don't quite see what you are saying, surely the contention ratio differs between exchanges.

Actual contention does depend on the exchange with IPstream. Datastream means that a DSLAM is effectively allocated to a Telco who can then load it how they choose. Based on the economics they have no choice but to load it much more heavily than BT do. Further to this, a 50:1 2MB product is likely to suffer a lot more than a 50:1 half meg product as the variation is going to be a lot more noticable.

I do understand that this is pretty subjective and depends on service proivder specifics. It is certianly interesting to see how well this will pan out in the coming months. What I would say is that if you live in the footprint of Bulldogs own LLU network (Rather than their DFatastream offering) then this is certainly not something I could argue with you looking into ;-)

> It would be great to know asap if you think plusnet are going to offer a 1Mbps connection Smiley

I know that PlusNet will offer a 1MB and fasters residential service, the question is really when, and that isn't something I can answer. What I can say is that we are on top of this as we do understand the demand for the product. At this stage I really can't say more about what I know :-(

> Oh, and if anyone in CS wants to take a look at ticket 6320428 while they are reading this it would be nice.

OI think this was updated, as you can imagine, I can't really respond to such requests without bringing on hords of similiar ones :-)

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

Guys,

If you want a home 1mb or 2mb home service look here http://www.internet-central.net/broadband/domestic.htm

I'm hoping +net will move to the introduce this or I guess I might fly, not that I'm unhappy with the service, as I have been online for 102 days now & d/l around 1gig a day.