cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will Netgear DG814 ADSL Router work with Plus.Net?

N/A

hi guys

i'm thinking of get a adsl router for home networking with internet conenction.

i never use a router before, i wondering how to setup Plus.net setting in router or just plug in and online?

many thanks

wesley
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

The DG814 is probably one of the simplest to set up. Simply plug it in, follow the configuration instructions, enter your DSL username and password, and it should work.

10 mins, out of the box.

B.
N/A

just got one myself dg 814
easy to setup and works like a dream

Rob
N/A

I'm using one right now.

they're simple to set up and 'just work'
Community Veteran

same can be said of the D-link 504 which is again a 4 port router allowing you to have 4 PC's connected to the internet.
Dead easy to set up and just works.
Not much to choose between either one.
Boundey
Grafter

well i'm now being told that the DG814 isnt very compatible with plusnet now by all of the techs.

I have had dropping problems for about 2 weeks now and BT have checked their end, so have plusnet and now the problem lies with me. Changed the DG814 twice now, changed all the internal lines and its still doing it!!!!!!!!!

head doing this problem Evil Cry

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Excessive smileys removed.]
Ianwild
Grafter

Router compatibility is not normally an issue related to the ISP...

Your problem could be related to any range of problems, but I'm pretty sure we have a hefty chunk of users with those routers who don't experience any problems.

Please do let us know how you get on with diagnosing this and if you need any assistance from me, you know where I am :-)

Regards,

Ian
Boundey
Grafter

Ian - i would love some help to get this problem sorted mate.

if you have MSN messenger please do add me as this problem is doing my head in right now. Just came back in from being out all day to find the net dead again, lost its IP so i had a big stall conex on BT's side

MSN: chris@m8e.co.uk

thanks m8e
Ianwild
Grafter

Well, I don't profess to be the technical whizz on all these things when it actually comes to it, but I will try to help.

I'm not back in the office until Webnesday morning though which is the first chance I am going to get to speak to you directly.

Really, I come into my own when it comes to kicking other people to fix things, so I would certainly reocmmend you push Support to get an answer for you on this and if they don't I will happily get involved!

Regards,
Boundey
Grafter

nice one there Ian, have to say, the majority of people i have spoken to on plusnet support have been really helpful, even down to the BT engineers who have came out.

Try and give me a ring on wednesday if possible and i will let you access my router to make sure its configured right. Also i know your support team are monitoring my connection now as well to see when its dropping.

Cheers once again
Community Veteran

Have you upgraded the firmware to the latest available public version (4.Cool?

Have you set the 'Idle Timeout' setting to 0?

Have you rebooted the router after doing these steps?

Barry.
N/A

Yeah I agree with the last comment "'Idle Timeout' setting to 0" - otherwise if your not using the internet connection its gonna disconnect you.

I've had a DG814 for the last year or so and its fantastic. Was with btopenworld before and switched to plus when I moved house back in April - all with the same router.

Currently replying to this message from my kitchen - via a dlink wireless network which is plugged into da old faithfull DG814.
Boundey
Grafter

Have you upgraded the firmware to the latest available public version (4.Cool?

Have you set the 'Idle Timeout' setting to 0?

Have you rebooted the router after doing these steps?

Barry.

gawd, i've never rebooted my router so many times.

I'm running... Firmware Version V4.8 July. 09, 2003

its dropped out once today while my dad tried to use it.

Heres a nice little (big) screen shoot of the router and how long its connected for. :shock:
LINK TO SCREENSHOT

please any help would be GREAT!

[Moderator's note (by acarr): Image removed and replaced with link]
N/A

hi guys,

i saw a Origo ASR-8400 adsl modem, cost £35 and thought give it a chance, got it and it works like a dream, very simple to setup, very impressive adsl modem for the price, netgear adsl modem cost around 80 to 90ish, pleased i went the right way Smiley