cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why do I have slow speeds?

N/A

I think Ihave an 8Mb line ( but I have asked for help) but get speeds much lower, (2/3kbsecdownload). How can Ichange my settings, or do I need to upgrade my router? The slowness is driving me mad!!! Evil
2 REPLIES
N/A

See my post (4th post) in this thread:-

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49192

Post your results back here, it may show if there's a profile problem.

Also check your exchange status:-
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
Highlighted
N/A

Here is my speed test!!I wish!!

The speed test has completed on test server test.speedtester.bt.com for user 01674676308 and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

1837 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Your IP address is 81.174.159.1, your browser is reported as being Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 and is running on Windows XP.

BT would regard the speed ranges shown below as normal service:

For 250kbps End Users speeds between 50 - 250kbps.
For 500kbps End Users speeds between 100 - 500kbps.
For 1000kbps End Users speeds between 200 - 1000kbps.
For 2000kbps End Users speeds between 400 - 2000kbps.

You may now disconnect from the speed test account (click 'disconnect' in your internet connection window) and if you wish to regain normal access to the internet please re-connect to your ISP using your usual username and password.

Please note that test results may vary according to varying traffic in the network. If you continue to experience slower throughput when logged in to your ISP, this may be due to a slow internet site or high traffic levels beyond the BT Wholesale Network. Please report this situation to your ISP's helpdesk.

and exchange.. Code: ESMON
County: Tayside
Enabled: 13 Aug 2003

Upgrade Status
Good News, BT have finished enabling this exchange for Max DSL products.
Products will be available from 31/03/06.
Speeds: Our test also indicates that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 8Mbps.
BT are in the process of upgrading the majority of telephone exchanges around the UK to support speeds of up to 8Mbit/s.

The status given here is an estimate given by BT on 31/03/06

I have found out I have only 2Mb line, have requested 8Mb.

Thanks for your help