cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why cant I get 2mb (or 1mb) speeds?

N/A

Hi all

I have supposed to be able to get upto 2mb download speeds however it seems I am limited to 576k which in this day and age is POOR. Does anyone know if i could get nearer to 1mb or even 2mb with these line stats.

DSL Parameters and Status
Vendor ID: 00B5GSPN
Revision Number: Y1921a
Serial Number: 123456789abcdx
Local Tx Power: 11.55 dB
Remote Tx Power: 13.81 dB
Local Line Atten.: 61.5 dB
Remote Line Atten.: 31.5 dB
Local SNR Margin: 7.0 dB
Remote SNR Margin: 18.0 dB
Self Test: Passed
DSL Standard: G.dmt
Trellis Coding: Enable
Framing Structure: Framing-3
US speed 288 (Kbps)
DS spped 576 (Kbps)
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

For 1Mbs speeds, you need a local (downstream) line atten of 60dB or lower and a SNR >= 10dB
For 2Mbs speeds, you need a local (downstream) line atten of 43db or lower and a SNR >= 10dB

With a line atten of 61dB and SNR of 7dB you fail both of those tests so your line can only support 512Kbs speeds.
N/A

I also have discovered that my connection isn't going to be going any faster then 512k. What annoys me is that at no point was I told that my line test was actually not all that great- I had to contact Tech support (who were very helpful admittedly) before even getting a solid connection, but I'd realised that i wasn't getting more than 512 speeds and finally contacted last night. I got back this email:

Dear xx,
On initially checking your accoun tit does state that the Initial Line Check unsuccessful for Directory Number (Red).

Which means unfortunatley you can only recieve a 512k connection to your premises.

The speed test you performed seems well within the limits that BT stipulate for a 512k connection.

Am I supposed to be grateful? If I new i ws going to be paying a premium price for absolute bog standard DSL I would have cut my losses and gone elsewhere, but NO! I was told on the order status page that all was hunky dory and that my line test was completed successfully, from which I think it is fair to assume that I should expect a totally up to speed service with no restrictions.

Is there anything I can do to to resolve or tweak the line to get higher speeds, and is there any comeback for me re my account management- I'm really frustrated that i wasn't told about this prior top activation.

Thanks for reading/ replying,

Dc
N/A

There is nothing you can do well all except moving house but thats a bit drastic for a faster connection.

Plusnet won't tell people that they can't get the full 2 meg speed in case people then decide to not bother signing up with then and go off and find a cheaper connection for their line.

You could still take the option of the 45 day plusnet Guarantee and go for cable if it's in your area.
N/A

If you can further tidy up your house wiring, use good quality twisted pair cable, and have a look at the ringwire trick at http://yarwell.blogspot.com/2005_08_01_yarwell_archive.html then you may be able to increase your SNR, which will hopefully mean an increase in speed when MaxDSL comes to your area

But with your current stats you are quite lucky to have any service :shock:
N/A

Yeah there may well be cable in here- I might look into it-

As for my current stats, how can you possibly know what my stats are? (NB the ones above are not mine Smiley)

Thanks for the replies, i'll be getting onto plusnet shortly Smiley
N/A

sorry mrchutney Shockedops: i mixed you up with the OP Shockedops:

Post your modem stats and lets have a look - chances are you could get a manual regrade pushed through
N/A

How would I check my modem stats please? I'm not all that familiar with all this stuff.
N/A

Are you using the plusnet supplied BT voyager 105 modem?

Double click the arrows in the task bar, Click on status, press Ctrl & F1 - Click on DSL Link - you will find the line stats there.
N/A

sorry mrchutney Shockedops: i mixed you up with the OP Shockedops:

Post your modem stats and lets have a look - chances are you could get a manual regrade pushed through

Manual regrade - whats that when its at home? I am sure that mrchutney and I would be interested to know.

Cheers
Mark (original OP)

btw (random babble) - to hookup my adsl I added a telephone extension socket in my spare room which connects to an existing extension socket (which itself is coming off the master socket). My adsl socket (where my 205 voyager plugs into) is at the end of an approx 15 metre extension cable and in total is probably about 25 metres from the master socket (~15+~10=~25metres). The wire I bought to add the socket for my adsl connection was bog standard telephone wire from Maplin. Perhaps I could increase the speed by

a) getting a better quality cable
b) adding a wireless router nearer to the master socket and using my desktop as a wireless terminal

Hmm, which to choose. And none of these guarantee an increase in speed. I guess the best way to test if I can get an increase is to plug the 205 router directly into the master socket - that will show me the maximum speed I can acheive at my house.
Community Veteran

Hmm, which to choose. And none of these guarantee an increase in speed. I guess the best way to test if I can get an increase is to plug the 205 router directly into the master socket - that will show me the maximum speed I can acheive at my house.

Spot on! Smiley Remove all variables that you can to assertain what effect the extensions etc have Wink
N/A

sad to say that testing from the master socket proved that my connection is equally as bad from there - at least it shows that my own wiring is not to blame!
N/A

I wonder out of interest if you know the length of copper from your house to the exchange, BT should be able to tell you this, having said that BT are only required to provide a line capable of voice and 28k modem speeds or something equally daft so even if your line was short and just horrific your chances of getting BT to repair it are 0.
N/A

apparently the "straight line" distance is 3.4km which is well within the limits for 2mb (given the recent extensions) - but apparently the straight line distance means nothing because the wire could loop around the moon before its gets to my place Cry

Now PN is advertising upgrades to 8Mbps - this is really frustrating because I face a permanent low quality/speed service. I "guess" this is not the fault of PN, but rather BT. However as you say there is not much likelihood that I can get BT to either shorten my line or improve its quality. Unless of course we all threatened to move our line rental to another company Cheesy - my exchange (gloucester) has LLU and I could always move to another supplier! But then its using the same cable to my place so it'll only be the same problem with another supplier!