cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which way to go

tonka
Grafter

which way to go

hi i am running a extension from my master socket in one room to my front room where my computer is ,i was wondering if a more permenant solution in a bt extension was better or a wireless router would be better as i get moderm drops at least once a day,
26 REPLIES
N/A

which way to go

I think you should find out why you are getting drop-outs first. Perhaps start a separate subject.

A wired extension will give the best results. If both locations are on the ground floor, is there a cellar underneath? Ideal for hiding wires.
N/A

which way to go

Hi, Firstly please don't open another post on the subject, as it's not required.

What filters are you using?

While a properly fitted extension is neater, it will depend on the quality of installation, cables etc. as to whether you would noticed any improvement. If your extension lead is a good quality one, I'm not sure this would make an large difference by installing a fitted one, espcially over the distances that your talking about.

It could also be a power issue, if the modem is USB, then it'll be drawing power from the PC and this can make them drop their connection at times.

A wireless router is certainly one way to go since, I would suggest a DG834G.

Aaron
tonka
Grafter

which way to go

hi ,my filters are standard plus net issue at the moment but have some excelsus z-420uk-adyna coming,the extension that i am using is not a reel in reel out one and looks ok as far as i can see.the moderm is usb (voyager 105).
N/A

which way to go

the moderm is usb (voyager 105).

You can get rid of that for starters
tonka
Grafter

which way to go

which moderm do you suggest and how much?is it a case of just pluggin it straight in.
N/A

which way to go

Hold on the new modem!

An ADSL modem must be on a USB Root hub on its own, nothing in the second port. Check in Device Manager, Root hub, Action, Properties, Power.
N/A

which way to go

The new filter your getting is good. I would drop the modem, and get a router . You'll have a more reliable connection, you won't have to log in, you won't need to have any additional software or drivers for a modem etc. etc.

Oh, and you can add more PC's , PS2 or Xbox etc. with ease.

Aaron
tonka
Grafter

which way to go

hi ,.new to this game where is device manager?
N/A

which way to go

Control Panel, System, (In XP, Select Hardware)
tonka
Grafter

which way to go

still cant find it sorry doh!!!!
N/A

which way to go

Tonka,

What operating system are you using? Windows XP, ME, 98SE?

Aaron
tonka
Grafter

which way to go

windows xp mate
N/A

which way to go

Click Start

Select Control Panel on right section of menu

Select System

Click the Hardware Tab

You will see a button for device manager :-)
tonka
Grafter

which way to go

as far as i can see the moderm is on a port on its own with a spare root hub and there is two spare ports on my other root hub.