cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which modem/switch hardware?

N/A

which modem/switch hardware?

I'm waiting for the activation of my ADSL line before I buy the modem, etc. I'm planning to get one of the modem & switch/router all-in-one devices (with 4 wired ports and possibly with wireless access, too).

Does anyone recommend a make or model?
Or are there models to avoid?

Thanks for your help Shocked)

Andrew.
5 REPLIES
stonechat
Grafter

RE: which modem/switch hardware?

Hi Andrew

I would reccommend the SAR715 -it works well, has uPnP , firewal, and is easy to set up

Bpb

BoneMan
Grafter

AiL,
If you're looking for something basic have a look at the Dabs (www.dabs.com) AMX-64E (Quicklinx: 17P8WS) for £65 + P&P or the ADSLNation (http://www.adslnation.com/products/index.php)version. However, don't even thing about it if you considering using MSN messenger or NetMeeting. Also the manual is rubbbish but there are plenty of user web sites around with all information you need to install and configure. It doesn't have a firewall but with NAT I'm not convinced you need a hardware one anyway. More use (IMO) is a software one to protect you against all the things that want to "call home"!!

I have had one of these for 9 months now and it just sits on its shelf 24/7 doing its thing. What more can you ask? ;-).

Regards,

BoneMan
Saturn
Grafter

I can highly recommend the Netgear DG814, or DG824M if you want wireless too.
N/A

I'll add another vote for the Solwise SAR715PW (if you want wireless)
N/A

www.seg.co.uk

Vigor 2600

Ed.