cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when will the uploads be better????

N/A

What good is that going to do? Are you a shareholder?

Unless your a shareholder, you are nothing but a blip in BT's customer database.

Everybodies problem here is the "it could have been created yesterday" attitude. Trust me, life is not like that.

These are major projects that take time, even for the largest of companies.

What is even worse is people will campain for this, only to find out they are wasting there time, as the limits change again to allow it.

My sugestion, goto ADSl Guide where your thoughts will be with a sider majority. Airing this and what to do on the PlusNet forums is limiting.
29 REPLIES
N/A

Any 1 have a rough idea when the uploads of adsl will change. As i luk forward 2 hosting on games and web pages 2 load quicker.

Thanks a lot
N/A

There are not definate longterm plans as of yet to increase the upload speed of ADSL in the UK.

There is however SDSL with provides the same upload as download. However, it is more expensive for 256/256 SDSL than it is for standard 512/256 ADSL.
mitchell20
Grafter

Off- topic I know but there doesn't seem to be any plans at all from BT other than a 100% roll-out of ADSL in the UK. BT are going to get left behind if they are not carefull - Am I right in thinking that if BT want to offer anything faster than 2Mb down they will have to start upgrading every ASDL enabled exchange again :?:

I know this is easy for me to say, now that my exchange has recently been ADSL enabled but BT do seem far too wrapped up in getting ADSL rolled out all over the UK and they dont appear to be looking past the current ADSL technology at the moment.

Moderators note (John) Quote of complete text from previous post removed.
It is not ncessary to quote a preceeding post verbatum
N/A

It isn't quite all the doom and gloom people think it is.

On one hand you have you screaming you want faster ADSL. However, does that mean BT should drop what there doing and have people that can't currently get ADSL at all because there exchange is not enabled, scream instead.

The question is there. Who has the most valid point?

The people wanting faster speeds. When you have to remember that the factor of distance will still linger on, and the limits will be even smaller again. DO you think BT could invest enough to perform this, and survive on smaller margins?

Or the people where the exchanges are not enabled, that deserve the right to BB just as much as you do.

There are a few point here, shich you might like to ponder on.

1: Once BT complete there 2005 target for rollout, they will have a lot of time ont here hands for SDSL and faster speed ADSL.

2: The more customers they have on the lower speed ADSL prodcuts, the more more they can use to subsidise faster speed rollouts on all other BB technologies.

3: DSLAM units are modular. Through firmware, new line cards and faster backhauls, it is pretty easy to upgrade an exchange for SDSL and other products.
mitchell20
Grafter

I agree 100% with you - I know exactly what it's like campaigning for Broadband
and I am not for 1 minute knocking these people as I know exactly how hard a job it is!! The current strategy BT are using does seem to be working - there are more exchanges hitting their trigger levels now than ever before - sadly this is creating further problems as RFS lead times are now at an all-time high.
N/A

Long leadtimes on RFS where to be expected.

We are now starting to hit the rural exchanges, where major backhaul changes need to be made. The whole wayleave situation, and the fact the government want to decrease the time spent digging up roads are all going to be hitting factors.

BT have got a very good chance of hitting there target, and my sugestion is watch this space (though give it 8 months), as BT may annouce some major major changes in a bid to reduce RFS time.

It would be hard to do, and wayleave is still a limiting factor. But they may end up pushing easier exchanges, and leaving the admin process to takes place during the easy buildouts.
N/A

I just think were way behind other countries as usually and rip us off all day time.
N/A

See the government on that one.

BT wanted to do a lot of FTTH (fiber to the home) back in the 80's. The goverment stopped them, sugesting that cable co's get involved.

Look what happened there! NTL and Telewest have just come out from major financial crisises.

If BT had been allowed to go ahead, then we would not be seeing many of the problems we are today. It was a lot cheaper back then too. The same sort of project today, would be very expensive. Let them get ADSL out and making money after enabling all exchanges, and we should see some progress on that one.

As much as we would like to blame BT on that one, it wimply isn't there fault.
madswitcher
Grafter

Yes,

IIRC, that was one of Maggie Thatcher's legacies. BT wanted to do fibre to every home, but she stopped them on the grounds on it being monopolistic .

Mike
N/A

We should start a riot at bt uploads faster or everyone in the country will stop usuing the internet lol. Makes u want 2 move 2 sweden
N/A

I didn't know that about the FTTH in the 80's interesting, would have helped big style now and would have been something that Maggie Thatcher could have got praised about, on a day like today, but it was not to be. Smiley

SDSL....

To Get the 256kbit/s, 512kbit/s, 1024kbit/s 2048kbit/s SDSL Product...

You need to live within 4km

You need to have a Attenuation level of no more than 45db.

Broadband Symmetric cannot use the same line to support a standard BT PSTN service.
This means that the customer requires two separate lines if they wish to have both a
standard BT PSTN service and Broadband Symmetric services.

and the local exchange to be SDSL enabled.
Community Veteran

From http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=1251

The Symmetric services are not ideal for home users, since they do not support a voice line as well as the DSL. So if looking for hosting games servers on a line, you will need to have an additional BT copper pair installed. Additionally the geographic range from each exchange will be limited, estimates are 256k out to 3.9km, 512k to 3.4km, 1Mbps to 2.5km and 2Mbps only to 1.6km.

The BT IPstream Symmetric service has a headline contention of 10:1 and comes in four flavours, 250kbps, 500kbps, 1Mbps and 2Mbps and cost £120, £140, £210 and £250 per month (plus VAT). This is quite a bit higher than the regular services, but reflects the assumption that people will be making much higher use of the upstream channel. The largest sting in the tail is the connection charge of £450+VAT.

I'll have 2 please :mrgreen:
N/A

I personaly think 30k/sec uploads is fast - better than a dialup - you don't know when your better off do you extreme?
N/A

No i sure dont. I just think were paying so much a month at least give what other countries get 4 the same price.