cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what have they done to my broadband?!?!?

N/A

Hi

Until the start of July I'd been with PlusNet for quite some time and never had any problems. I then got an email to say that my connection was going to be "updated", and since then I've had constant connection problems with the connection sometimes going down, sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes for up to an hour at a time, up to 2 or 3 times per day. I get a load of messages in my router log file like these:

Sun, 2006-08-13 19:20:43 - LCP down.
Sun, 2006-08-13 19:20:51 - Initialize LCP.
Sun, 2006-08-13 19:20:51 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Sun, 2006-08-13 19:21:42 - LCP down.
Sun, 2006-08-13 19:21:52 - Initialize LCP.
Sun, 2006-08-13 19:21:52 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Sun, 2006-08-13 19:22:52 - Initialize LCP.
Sun, 2006-08-13 19:22:52 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Sun, 2006-08-13 19:22:53 - CHAP authentication success

I'm going through the PlusNet support channels (after a first abortive attempt when I ran the fault checker and it just told me everything was fine and closed the ticket), but can anyone tell me what they might have done to my connection to cause the problem. Is it DSLMax, or the Tiscali LLU thing? Are they the same thing? Has anyone else experienced the same problem?

Cheers

Neil

Edit: Forgot to mention, is it likely that they can undo whatever it was that they've done. Like unmigrate me back to my old BT connection, if I've LLU'd. I know it's possible to opt out...
6 REPLIES
N/A

Neil,

I get exactly the same problems as you have just described. All my problems began about a month ago, but before that I probably had 1 or 2 very minor problems in well over a year. I'd say I've had 50+ loses of connection in past month which vary in length from 1 minute to 1 hour.

Correct me if I wrong, but did all these problems start shortly after PlusNet started 'upgarding' peoples accounts using the Tiscali Network?

I've also logged my problem with Customer Support and have given them 5-days to fix it, or I'll be switching to an ISP that can actually supply the service I'm paying for.

Cherz
Glenn
N/A

Glenn

Good to here that someone else has the same problem (not good for you obviously, but I feel a bit less lonely now Smiley ). I've been pretty patient about this so far, but I'm getting to the point where like you I just want to get the service that I'm paying for, and I'm not sure I'm going to get it at PlusNet.

The most frustrating thing is that when I first joined PlusNet they had fantastic customer service, and on the couple of occasions I had a problem I called them and spoke to someone helpful straight away. Now I've got serious problems with my connection and I can only get through to someone but calling at 10pm and holding for an hour, and the person I speak to is completely unhelpful and bordering on rude.

My main worry about trying to move to a new ISP is that I don't know how this is handled at the exchange end. If I'm not connected to the Tiscali network, can I move to an ISP that doesn't use Tiscali and get my connection moved back to the BT network?

Cheers

Neil
N/A

Neil,

I'm in the process of looking for another ISP as I can't see PN fixing these problems in the near future. Up until a month or so ago I would have recomended PN to anyone as the support and connection had been great up until then. The two people who I had previously referred to PN are also experiencing very similar problems to the ones we are, and by looking at the number of posts on the forums 1000's of other people are also in the same boat.

The website adslguide offers a pretty good overview of what services are available in the UK.

Cherz
Glenn
N/A

I was a die hard PN fan up until may/june when i went to the states. On my return i signed back up again expecting the same amazing speeds and no caps.

Unfortunatly this has been the opposite, with the final insult being that i was getting a MAX of 77Kbps down.

Streaming a video on youtube was taking as long as dialup it felt. An absolute JOKE !!

It annoys me because PN really were the best, what happened you guys. If somethings broken dont fix it !!!
N/A

I was a die hard PN fan up until may/june when i went to the states. On my return i signed back up again expecting the same amazing speeds and no caps.

Unfortunatly this has been the opposite, with the final insult being that i was getting a MAX of 77Kbps down.

Streaming a video on youtube was taking as long as dialup it felt. An absolute JOKE !!

It annoys me because PN really were the best, what happened you guys. If somethings broken dont fix it !!!
N/A