cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what exactly happens when you request a regrade

Community Veteran

When you request a regrade what exactly happens. Does this mean that a Bt engineer will go out and look at your line and close any open connections etc or does it just mean that bt will do another whoosh test and say no?

I know it's not an ideal world but if the difference between a person getting a good adsl line is just down to who wired your house line then the systems not exactly that fair.

My line is in for regrading and I'm hoping for good news. It only went active on wed, if it does go to 2mb why should I have to pay an upgrade fee as this would indicate that bt have provisioned it wrong in the first place. I could understand if I was wanting to go to 4mb or 8mb etc but as my line was installed at one and tests suggest can take 2 then why should I have to pay more?

A
4 REPLIES
N/A

The speed you can get depends on the distance you are from the exchange, thats line distance not physical. You may be able to see the exchange but the line could go all round the town before it gets to you.

The further you are the more loss on the line, BT quote a maximum attenuation of 43db for a 2Mb stable speed. some people can get away with more than this if they have a good line with a good signal to noise ratio.

BT have a database which they refer to when you apply for a broadband if its above 43db they just connect you at a slower speed

When you ask for a whoosh test they do an individual check on your line if the figures are only slightly over you can ask for a manual upgrade and sometimes you can get away with 2Mb even if you are over the quoted limits.

Smiley
Community Veteran

Cheers,

I asked for the re-grade on Thursday it was put through on Friday and my line went up to 2.2 on Saturday.

Impressive or what!!

A
N/A

Lucky you!!! Cheesy

I'm stuck on 1Mb, too much line loss Sad

Hope you are enjoying it

Cheers
Community Veteran

Not meaning to rub it but I am. I'm glad I didn't got for the payg option as I'm nea the 1gb limit already. Thankfully I don't think I'll be doing the 100-150gb usage required to get a letter from Plunsent re overuse.

A