cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what are PN doing to keep customers?

N/A

it seems to me they are doing nothing at all.... my package at the moment costs 22.99 for 512k which will be limited from tomorrow :roll: but i can go to other isps get 1mb for 19.99 no limits and free migration with all the same promises as PN of 8mb in the future.... so why would anyone stay ?
i'm off to a better value isp as PN charge more and offer less,
when i joined they were the best but now they've got too big for there boots and dont give a toss if people leave or not.
14 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Don't forget, your line is going to be upgraded Free of Charge to 2Mb in the near future. See here.

This will then mean that you'll have 2Mb (providing your line can support it) and around September time, 8Mb should be available, and you will benefit from another free speed upgrade.

If you want a fixed cost, unmetered connection, similar to that that other 'mainstream' ISPS supply, then Broadband Plus might be for you. If you do little daytime P2P or Binary Newsgroup downloading, then you can get 512k for £14.99, 1Mb for £19.99 and 2Mb for £24.99.

So, in answer to your question, in order to keep customers, they are offering everything to you on a plate. You can choose exactly what connection you want. Broadband Plus, Broadband Premier or Broadband PAYG.
N/A

my line wont support 2mb and yes as you say PN are upgrading everyone for free but once that has happened i'm only going to be able to get 1mb and i'd still be paying more for 1mb than other isps and i'd be restricted to 30gb a month downloads which is half what i do now.
so why would i stay?when i can get 1mb unlimited for cheaper than PN
LiamM
Grafter

Unfortunately this is the way the market is heading. Broadband priced on usage. ISPs just cannot sustain the high cost of bandwidth, since connections are now charged on bandwidth not on speed, by BT.

The people who lose out are the ones who use a lot of bandwidth, but cannot get the greater speeds. This cannot be helped and is something that every ISP is going to have to face at some stage in the near future.
N/A

so you agree then that i would be better to go to another isp that offers 1mb for 19.99 with no limit than stay with PN and pay more to get less?
LiamM
Grafter

I have to admit, I would be considering it. I would think carefully before doing so. Where are you thinking of heading?

Given that BT charge by usage, ISPs are under more pressure to introduce these Fair Usage Policy's. Plusnet have tried to introduce one in as flexible a way they can, but it is something that all ISPs sooner or later will have to do to avoid going bankrupt.

I also know that Plusnet's support is rather good, in terms of getting problems sorted. I've tried and tested it.

I also use a lot of the hosting features etc... so thats a factor.
Alecto
Grafter

my line wont support 2mb and i'd be restricted to 30gb a month downloads which is half what i do now.

Remember that the 30Gb doesn't include uploads or off-peak downloads, both of which will be included in your current usage.

My view is that if it works (which my Pn connection does, and quickly most of the time) and you're happy with what you're getting (which I am), then why risk the chance of an inferior service to save a couple of pounds?. Other ISPs will promise you what you want to hear, as will many people who are trying to sell you something.

Have you actually been turned down for 2Mb, or are you assuming it won't support it?

What would you lose by trying out the FUP for a while and seeing if you really are affected? - unless of course you're unhappy with the connection and service.

Just my thoughts, after having been with some bad ISPs. :roll:
N/A

well my line is only just under the threshold for 1mb according to the recent whoosh test PN did so it seems thats all i'm going to get Sad

www.v21.co.uk offer 1mb for 19.99 with no limits at all which is one example and its 3 quid a month cheaper than what i pay now and i'd much rather have that 36 quid a year in my pocket than Plusnets.
Alecto
Grafter

That's fine. Good luck with them. Smiley
I just wasn't sure you could treat Broadband service as a commodity - i.e. the same wherever you buy it. Probably just over-cautious.
N/A

Im finding that my current usage doesnt warrant a 'Premier' account like i'm on. I would be better suited to a cheaper Broadband Plus account but maybe 1Mb rather than 512k.

Thing is it will cost me £30 to regrade... Sad It would be nice with all these new accounts, new T&Cs etc etc if PN gave existing users the option to change account type as a good will gesture.
LiamM
Grafter

I wouldn't touch V21 with a bargepole.

V21 provision their service in a similar way to Gio Internet. In fact, in the same way, and through the same company. They are basically reselling a connection from NetServices PLC, which is reselling a connection from BT. If you prefer to have two middlemen rather than just the one, then thats your preference. And given all the problems recently with Gio Connections and debt collection letters being issued by NetServices, I wouldn't go near any ISP that does not look after it's own connections.

Furthermore, V21 can't even develop their own website, yet still offer Web Design. I wouldn't trust them with my internet connection. Just have a look at the V21 signup process. Look similar? That's because they just leeched the whole thing directly from Plusnet. If I remember correctly Plusnet were following this up a while back, but I haven't heard about it since. Would be interesting to know what happened. Obviously nothing much, since V21 still seem to be using the PN interface quite happily.

If I remember also, they forgot to edit out the Comments in the Code which referenced it to being Plusnet developed code. I believe they have now done this.

If they offer Web Design, but can't actually develop websites, who's to say they offer Internet Access, but actually have no idea what they're doing.
N/A

i didn't say i was going to them, i only used them as example of the lower prices available.
LiamM
Grafter

and I guess what I was saying is... you get what you pay for.

Unfortunately, with V21 amongst others, it's very highly contended connections. If you want that, then Plusnet are not for you.
N/A

martin family is that machine head in your av..?
if so ill send u demo of my band ...u mite like it..
LiamM
Grafter

I'm about to PM you pjsavant.... Then you'll know about all my extra-curricular activities.