cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

way to measure current bandwidth usage

N/A

I'm currently using my ADSL connection to run a private IRC server and a personal website, plus browsing and email etc, i'm thinking of running another server on it but don't know if i'll have the bandwidth available.

So my question is this: how can i measure how much bandwidth i'm currently using if my ADSL modem is built into my router? (if it wasn't i could just stick a sniffer there)
6 REPLIES
N/A

Im pretty sure that if you use the 'Connection Settings / View My Usage' in the portal of the plus.net site you should get a fairly accurate idea.
N/A

Thanks Smiley

any idea how often this is updated or is it generated in realtime?
N/A

I beleive it can be upto 2 hours behind.
N/A

Any ideas on how to sniff all traffic going down my ADSL line then? other then ARP poisoning every device on my network and running it through a sniffer. I've also been thinking of setting up an IDS such as snort but haven't been able to figure out how to sniff all the traffic going down the ADSL line.
stephenday
Grafter

If your router supports SNMP then you can poll it with something like MTRG (http://www.mrtg.org) to keep track of your bandwidth usage.

Alternatively, if you have a spare PC you could set up a gateway with some flavour of linux or *BSD and have all traffic routed through this machine on its way out to the adsl router and then on to the net. This is the set up i currently use. My gateway also acts as a traffic shaper, firewall and IDS (using snort) and has SNMP installed so I can monitor by b/w usage.

As for your original question, I see no reason why arp poisoning shouldnt work - provided you have forwarding switched ON on the sniffing machine of course Wink

Cheers

Steve

Any ideas on how to sniff all traffic going down my ADSL line then? other then ARP poisoning every device on my network and running it through a sniffer. I've also been thinking of setting up an IDS such as snort but haven't been able to figure out how to sniff all the traffic going down the ADSL line.
N/A

The problem with ARP poisoning is that it slows everything down since all traffic has to flow through the sniffer first.