cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

virus and spam protection

N/A

do some accounts come with free virus and spam - for my account its a 2.50 per month exrtra, but I know someone who just signed up on the 14.99 account and it seems to be included - so, is this an error, or is it free on all the "limited" broadband accounts? It may be an incentive for me to downgrade my account - which really doesn't make sense does it?

Alan
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

It is included for free on the new Broadband Home accounts. It is currently still a pay for option on those old accounts that don't have it included as standard (ADSL Easystart and Connect Lite had it included, ADSL Home, Home Surf etc did not).

You can switch to the new broadband home accounts which will have AV and SPAM filtering included if you want but you will have to pay a fee to do so - full details here.

Note: PlusNet are planning to include AV and SPAM filtering for free on all products (including the old ones) possibly by the end of the year or Q1 2005.
N/A

Thanks for the quick reply.

Is there anywhere that lists all the accounts, old and new, along with contention ratios etc - because I am now even more confused - and none of the pages I've seen so far mention contention.

I think I'm on an ADSL home account, which seems equivalent to the new home unlimited, in terms of features and price - apart from the spam/virus settings.

Alan
Community Veteran

In a word no, there is no simple comparison page of products with their featres and contension. This has been suggested but is may be a while before or even if it appears.

In practice, contension will be less of an issue due to the new CBC charging method, the ISP has more control over contension.

In simple terms all the home products are 50:1 (I know broadband home 2Mb is 20:1 now but will be changed to 50:1 once BT release IPStream Home 2000), all the business products are 20:1 but there are a few overlaps like Homeworker (50:1) and homeworker pro (20:1), Biz Surf & Netstart (50:1) etc.

All the contention values are available for the business (if it'[s not shown it 50:1) and homeworker range, but not easy to obtain for the home range and even more difficult for the discontinued products.