cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usage summary

N/A

usage summary

I seem to have 1 GB of gaming on my account ths week, I dont get much time for gaming online and was wondering if there are other things that might come up as gaming. I assume 1GB is not normal background for a week? Do speed tests come up as gaming maybe?

Its also strange that the speed rating on adslguide for pn is still rated as good
18 REPLIES
N/A

usage summary

I don't know about gaming - but I've certainly noticed that the usage monitoring often confused streaming video with browsing.

1GB is a heck of a lot of gaming, for one week - seems somewhat unlikely.

Even speedtesting - you'd have to have done near enough a hundred or more.

Any possibility that your connection might be compromised by a virus, or someone using a wireless network connection?

As you probably are already thinking - you might want to check your usage daily, to keep an eye on things.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

usage summary

Hi,

Does the total figure look correct? Occassionally traffic can get mismatched so it might be some P2P for example has been counted as gaming, or if your games have downloaded any patches or updates that could get classed as gaming. If the total looks wrong then it could be something else is causing it (one we see now and again is other people logging on a to a wireless router without the owner's knowledge).
Community Veteran

usage summary

it might be some P2P for example has been counted as gaming

If that is the case, would it have been prioritised into the titanium queue then Dave? If so, how many other users are seeing this but keeping quite about it?
N/A

usage summary

all my p2p if any is scheduled between 1am and 3 pm, I have automatic updates on so it may have been windows updates. There is some web cam activity used on msn, could this be the gaming traffic? As for security , wpa2 with complex password, using McAfee with latest dats. I have been doing a bit of photo uploading to ebay and the likes. Thats about all I can remember
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

usage summary

If that is the case, would it have been prioritised into the titanium queue then Dave? If so, how many other users are seeing this but keeping quite about it?

Just theory really, I know from my own usage I see a bit of gaming traffic being added when it's not gaming with P2P being the likely candidate for me but it could easily be something else. The webcam one a guess is good possibility here.
Community Veteran

usage summary

Hi Dave

Yes I used to see some usage outside of the protocols I would have expected to see it in as well.
However these amounts could be considered irrelevent as they were so small.
A whole Gig of usage showing in the gaming(titanium) queue when you haven't been gaming though:?: :? Hmmm. That would be an awful lot of wrongly assigned - webcam for example - usage m8.
I just wondered how many other people this may be happening to, and how many of them it would take to have a considerable affect on the network?

@ sponge
I don't want you to think I am suggesting that you and/or others may be at fault ie; causing a degredation of other peoples service at all.
I simply mean that if the PN system is wrongly assigning many peoples data traffic in the way you have highlighted, then this would almost certainly have an negative adverse affect on others. This would be PN's systems at fault and obviously not any fault of users like yourself. Wink
Community Veteran

usage summary

Another instance of wrong usage in the "titanium" queue!
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?p=407636#407636

As I say, how many other people are seeing this but not reporting it?
shellsong
Grafter

usage summary

I wonder what category Tor traffic would be in?
Community Veteran

usage summary

Another, this time 10GB! http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?p=408172#408172

@ Dave T or other COMMS, could you have another look at what I am highlighting here please?

Considering that only a tiny fraction of the userbase post on these forums, and to then consider that of that group, an even smaller fraction still, are likely to have checked their usage closely enough to notice significant amounts of data incorrectly put into the "titanium" queue. Then consider how many of this tiny tiny group of users are likely to post about it!
Community Veteran

usage summary

I'm wondering why COMMS seem to have now left me having a one-man conversation for the last few days!

Would one of the COMMS team please take another look?
Community Veteran

usage summary

I guess I should stop asking about this and just SOD OFF then?
F'in ignorant!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

usage summary

I don't think this is a major issue unless the total usage is wrong as well. It's something we've seen for a long time, small amounts of background noise are going to be normal and sometimes bits of P2P or other downloads can get misreported as something else or it's in the closest possible catagory (like the webcam in gaming or VoIP for example on the game patch download that appears in gaming or P2P).

Ultimately it is just a guide, but I will see if I can flag it up to check over.
Community Veteran

usage summary

I don't think this is a major issue unless the total usage is wrong as well.

This is the wrong way to think if you want the platform to perform fairly for all users!
Ok the overall figure may be about right lets say, but just a few posts up you will see a link to someone who is totaly bemused as to where 10GB of gaming traffik is from!
Hardly "small amounts of background noise"! Not really explained away as "bits of P2P"!

Thanks for the reply btw, it only took 8 days and for me to throw my toys around for it to happen! GRRRrrr. Sad

And to think I used to love the Tommo! :lol:
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

usage summary

I know what you are saying but I'm not sure if it's 10GB if Titanium that's misreporting or just 10GB that appears in gaming incorrectly in VMBU.