cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unacceptable

N/A

unacceptable

hi there 10 days ago i started connecting at 7.6 meg after asking a couple of months ago to get upgraded to the 8 meg speeds well the past 10 days my speeds have ranged from 7.6 to 1.6 on connecting to the net downloads speeds have varied also but ive just took that as normal during the first 10 days of the upgrade right now im getting downloads speeds that are equal or lower than a 1 meg connection which is totaly unacceptable ive raised a question with help and support but im awaiting thier answer im beggining to think i should have stuck with my 2 meg connection if its not sorted ASAP im thinking of leaving the first 2 years with plusnet were good but now its really bad service and i dont think im the only one who thinks so there is probly a lot of isaps out there that are better now anyway and just as cheap
2 REPLIES
N/A

unacceptable

The first 10 days of an upgrade are there to get a stable level of connection. For example thats why every ISP will ask you to reboot your router 2-3 times daily. Whenever you re-connect you connect at different speeds. Once the 10 days are up they are able to judge the stability of the line much better. However after the 10 days if you are still experiencing those issues then there may be a line fault.
mljhilton

unacceptable

When I upgraded to MAX my sync dropped from 1664 at best to 448 at worst. Previously I had a sync of 1152 and download speeds of about 920 or so. After MAXing, I was left with a download speed of 240.

The problem in my case was interference coming from the ring wire, which is the orange wire connected to number 3 within your master and extension sockets. When I removed this ring wire, I was sync'ing at 1696 at best and 1440 at worst. After the BRAS profile was reset my download speeds returned to their previous level of 900 and above (I even got 1000.3 one Saturday morning!)

NB. Your BRAS profile at the exchange will be updated after 3 days, but if PlusNet have your line profile set low you may have to chase them to increase it to the appropriate level. I had to do this. If the BT speed tester, which bypasses the ISP, gives you a faster result than the PlusNet line profile will allow, this is the problem. If it is, keep at PlusNet until they fix it, which they can do quite easily.

To check whether it's the wiring in your house, remove the face plate of your master socket and plug your modem into the engineer's test socket at the right-hand side. This connection bypasses all of your internal wiring. If you get your best sync speed having done this, then remove the ring wire (orange, number 3) from your master socket and from ALL of your extensions. Also, make sure that you're using good quality micro-filters on ALL of your extensions.

ADSL MAX is a lot more sensitive than ordinary ADSL, so issues that weren't important before become critical now.