cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to browse even though dsl is ok

N/A

about 1 or 2 times a day I lose internet access. What I mean is that I am unable to browse/surf even though the dsl modem (wireless buffalo airstation recently changed from linksys) is connected and working. I go into the setup for the access point and all the tests show the line/connection is fine. The correct lights are lit so everything seems ok. However I cannot surf etc. I have to restart the pc or the access point and keep doing this until it is ok.

Any ideas?

I have xp sp2 on all the pcs here. Anti-vir software which has always been ok (download from majorgeeks - kept up to date), ad-aware is run everyday and ms anti-spyware (beta) which runs fine.

thanks in advance
20 REPLIES
N/A

Is your Airstation also your ADSL modem?
If not, what do you use for your ADSL modem?

Are you using the internet via Wireless or a Wired connection?

Does it help to use a wired connection?
N/A

The airstation is modem and router. The network is mixed, wireless and cable. The main pc is connected via ethernet to the airstation. The problem happens even when the main pc is the only one switched on.
craigbrass
Grafter

Although this may seam an odd thing to do, reset your router to factory settings and then set it up again. It worked for me when I had this problem.
N/A

thanks I will do it now although the modem/router is out of the box a week ago. I cannot say it will work immediately I can only see what happens over the next day or so and I will report back.

thanks again.
N/A

done the factory reset and wil wait now.

as another point the factory settings for service category are:

UBR without PCR
UBR with PCR
CBR
Non realtime VBR
Realtime VBR

Currently set to UBR without PCR

I have absolutely no idea what these mean.
N/A

Have you got norton antivirus we firewall. If so turn off that firewall and see what hppens
N/A

firewall set on modem/router but off on xp. No norton or mcfee only the free download Anti-vir - which has been very good over the years.
N/A

factory reset has not worked Cry just dropped again even though the lights etc were fine.
N/A

When the connection stops, do you get any symbols or signs popup within the task bar?
i.e two computers with a warning triangle displayed over them.
N/A

No. In fact the two icons (lan + internet) remain the same and still show as being fully connected.

Surely it must be the modem/router but there is no indication as to what it could be. When there is more than 1 pc connected they all lose the internet connection but still everything looks as it should on the modem/router and the icons etc. on the pc. Just cant find any pages.

thanks
N/A

ive been having the same problem say i click on google ,the transmit arrow icon shows transmit...recieving arrow "nothing" ...no page!!
so i click refresh countless times ,still no joy...
i try again couple of minutes later then bingo,works! :? weird

zoom 5510 adsl modem
N/A

Actually now I have thought about it some more then there is another situation. I can have the online radio working fine but I cant find any pages. The radio is not buffered as it will keep working for a long time.

Is it possible that there could be a line issue? What I mean is that the line looks fine to the modem router as it can ping PN and it allows a small stream like the radio through but there is some kind of 'blockage' that stops heavier date transmission/reciept. Out of my depth here so just guessing.
N/A

now that my line has been regraded I will see how it goes. thanks for the replies.
N/A

You're not alone, I've occasionallyhad the same problem for the last month or so. I think plusnet's DNS server starts ignoring us (that's the thing that turns www.blah.com addresses into something the computer can understand).
For me web browsing stops working but I can still play unreal tournament 2004 online - it can still see servers around the world and I can play the game fine.
I can fix the problem by restarting my router (just disconnecting and reconnecting doesn't work) but then web pages stop working again after a couple of minutes.
I have been using the same hardware and software for months, and being using ADSL for over a year so it's not anything I've done.
Next time it'll be a mail to support.