cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

timeout problem

N/A

timeout problem

I wonder if anyone can advise on the following issue. I am trying to solve a problem sending emails. It has been suggested that a badly-configured router is the likely cause.

I have a Tivo which is part of my home network. This has quite a few hacks written for it, one of which is DailyMail, which sends an email giving information about programmes the Tivo is going to record in the next few hours, etc. It is fairly easy to set up and generally works OK for Tivo owners. But not for me.
Basically what happens is that it connects OK with the mailserver (212.159.11.46). If the message is short (say < 1K) it sends OK. Otherwise it times out while sending the message. An example of the response:
- Got reply: 220 relay.plus.net ESMTP Exim Thu, 04 Mar 2004 17:45:06 +0000
- Connected
- Got reply: 250 ptb-relay03.plus.net Hello (name)
- HELO acknowledged
- Got reply: 250 OK
- From acknowledged
- Get reply: 250 OK
- To acknowledged
- Got reply: 354 Enter message, ending with “.” on a line by itself
The message should send at this point. I sometimes get just “Sending failed” or sometimes a timeout message: eg
- error reading “sock4”: connection timed out
or sometimes a timeout message from the mailserver eg
- Got reply: 421 ptb-relay02.plus.net SMTP incoming data timeout – closing connection.
These timeouts take about 5-6 minutes.

When I posted my problem on the Tivocommunity forum, one suggestion was that it was an issue with a badly configured router. In experimenting with my own setup I altered MTU to 1492 and RWIN to 14520 on my PC which happily corrected a problem I was having accessing certain sites eg AOL webmail, and posting replies to Tivocommunity forum. However although I have set MTU to 1492 on the Tivo as well, I have been unable to get the Tivo emails to work correctly. My Tivocommunity adviser suggested trying to identify which hop was failing on the route (see posts) and email the owner of the faulty router to ask for it to be sorted. Tracert 212.159.11.46 always times out on the first 7 hops, accessing relay.plus.net only on the 8th hop. Plusnet say there is nothing to worry about here but they are unable to support Tivo issues.

A link to the forum advice I was given:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=7f368bf0a630530813accdd848ec0f51&threadid=1402...
1 REPLY
N/A

timeout problem

Is this happening when you first log on? Often it is down to the first few mins of logging when AV MS update and varios other software is all connecting the net at the same time to ge tis updates.

You should also check for any spyware to see if this is part of the problem.

If the problem is when all the updates etc have finished then you could try using a proxy server and see if that helps