cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

telephone problems

N/A

telephone problems

I have recently installed a zoom pci modem to replace a usb type which was giving problems due to via drivers /usb issues etc However i now have a faint chirping background noise on the telephones when the modem is conected .
all points have filters and the noise is there even when the computer is switched off.
anyone got any idea,s to solve the problem apart from unplugging the modem line when not in use (a bit of a pain)
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

telephone problems

Could be worth investing in better quality filters. This is the usual cause of this problem.
Do you know anyone that could give you a different type to try out?
If it makes a difference then you know that you need to change.
N/A

telephone problems

There should be no noise on your phone from the modem. The filters should stop any DSL signal getting to the phone analog signal.
If the problem goes away when the modem is unplugged from the filter, I would suggest the modem has a fault and I would raise this with the supplier.
Of course, I would also not rule out bad DSL filters but personally I think this is less likely.

Just check in your bios that you do not have "wake up on modem ring" (or similar) enabled. This is similar to wake up on LAN and the chirping could be the sleeping system polling the modem. If it is enabled, disable it.
However, as I say, you should not be able to hear this on your phone.
Even when your PC is switched off (unless the power socket is removed), the modern ATX PC is still active but in a standby state. Unplug the PC power socket and see if the chirping goes away. If it does not, then it is not the PC or Modem.