cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

suggestions for new router

N/A

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but here it goes ...

I'm looking at replacing my current setup, which is a USB Sagem F@ST 800 modem and an ipcop box, with a new all in 1 router - in the past I've gone for linksys and netgear yet last 2 Linksys I had went in the bin - anybody got any recomendations for a good router that can do the full 8MB not just connect on a 8MB line ?

thanx in advance
7 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

If you would like an all singing all dancing router that has MIMO wireless and can handle ADSL2+ with alacrity this is supposed to be pretty good although you would have to overcome your aversion to Linksys I'm afraid! Wink
Community Veteran

The netgear DG834 comes highly recommended and works very well on 8Mbs connections. It is also very capable or working with very low SNR levels when other routers would loose sync. Mine stays rock solid, even when the SNR drops at 0.
N/A

I'll agree with Peter. Netgear will always be my first choice.

Ease of use and reliability are key features. There is also a wealth of knowledge and support for Netgear kit on these boards, so you'll never be stuck. Smiley
shellsong
Grafter

The main reason I mentioned the Linksys is that it's one of the few routers that have been tried on the Be* ADSL2+ infrastructure that has worked easily and at the same sort of speed the Be-Box can manage and it also has MiMo wireless giving it much better than the usual range

Personally I've got a Zoom X5V ADSL VOIP Modem/router and a Belkin MiMo wireless router. The Belkin was working fine for 6 months giving much better range and speed than a Netgear WGT624 but shortly after upgrading the firmware and trying to set it up as a wireless access point it decided to shut me out and refuses to hard reset, so I've got to get around to arranging for Belkin to sort it out! Cry
N/A

If you would like an all singing all dancing router that has MIMO wireless and can handle ADSL2+ with alacrity this is supposed to be pretty good although you would have to overcome your aversion to Linksys I'm afraid! Wink

you don't know how much I shuddered when I read that Tongue

asking around the netgear 834 has come up a fair bit but I need to know if it has that bug of reseting itself when the number of connections through it goes a bit on the high side ...

Thanx for the food for thought
shellsong
Grafter

We've been developing a bit of an aversion ourselves over recent years-- to the Conexant chipsets! That tends to put a major crimp in a list of acceptable routers Wink
Nocturne
Grafter

I've used a Netgear 834(v1) for a couple of years or more.

On MaxDsl it gives my down SNM as anything from 0 to 7 db.

Looking around there seems to be two, or more, views on this.
Either the router can cope with very low SNR's or the actual SNM is higher than it shows.

I suspect the latter which may or not be a problem but there are suggestions that this information is exchanged with BT to determine how your system is performing and make adjustments accordingly.

If you can hold synch at 8128 then no doubt it does not matter.
If it aint broke don't fix it.

I can't hold synch at 8128 for more than 2 or 3 days so far (trial is completed)
It doesn't seem to necessarily lose synch at particularly low SNM values though.

I'd love a definitive answer to which Router to go for but of course life isn't like that, at least with routers.

Only consensus seems to be go for TI AR7 chipset as possibly the better option.
But then I think thats whats in the 834 ?.