cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

strange internet activity

N/A

i have just been monitoring my internet connection and it appears that i am recieving data at 2-3kbps when i am connected but no internet related programs are running. i have done spyware/adware/antivirus scans, and nothing is coming up. i am using a bt voyager 105 modem and the data light is constantly on, even though there should be no data passing through, but it appears that there is, without my knowledge of what ir running. i have checked my network usage and it is hovering betweem 0.50% and 2% . as i have said i have done various spyware/adware/virus scans, and nothing is showing up, any ideas on what i can do to stop this? my sent data is staying stationary but the recieved data is racking up at around 2kbps when i have no programs running (which can be seen in the task manager window. hopefully soebody out there can offer help.
Regards.

[Moderator's note by Chris (Eurotrain4): Topic moved to more suitable forum]
2 REPLIES
N/A

sorry, i forgot to mention, when im running my internet security (norton 2005), i can block traffic, it seems that whatever us doing this is over ruling norton and is still coming through, also i just thought id mention that i have done a system restore, that hasnt helped. and also i wanted to add that the data starts to be recieved as soon as my connection is established. and stays on constantly.
N/A

Hi,

This sounds like the normal internet activity that has become pretty common these days. Most of the time it's infected computers trying to find other computers to infect, but you seem to have your security software in order so it shouldn't be a problem.

The best practise is to just ignore it, unless it is having a detrimental effect on your connection's performance - in which case you should raise a link:contact us ticket explaining the situation. For it to have this kind of effect would require a much larger volume of traffic / second though.