Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stopping the downloading of 'knitting patterns'

madswitcher
Grafter

Hi All,

If like myself you have teenagers who are constantly downloading what we might call 'knitting patterns' Wink you may be interested in that Draytek now appear to have a beta set of firmware for their 2600 router that allows P2P data streams to be blocked. So I thought I would pass this on.

I posted this as a reply to another post, but it was submerged from the main streams.

If you are interested, it can be found on the Draytek forums. At the moment it cannot be time scheduled, but that is on a wish list to which Draytek are quite good at responding to.

Regards, Mike
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

If you have a broadband home premier or lite account, you can disable p2p and binary usenet access via the portal and this will apply to your connectin. It's under connection settings and it's called surf.
N/A

Surf has no affect when using AresGalaxy P2P, well at least not for my connection.
N/A

The home surf accounts block on the common port numbers and I would guess that this new application uses a different port which is why it is not blocked. We are working on further advancements on this type of application but at the moment port blocking is the only across the board solution that we have.
N/A

surely then in order to circumvent the anti p2p one would only need to change which port is used? like bit torrent for instance, with azureus you can chose what port you want to use.
N/A

surely then in order to circumvent the anti p2p one would only need to change which port is used?

Well, yes. But this is true whether you rely on PlusNet to do the port blocking, or configure your own firewall to do the same. At the end of the day, if someone is intent on overcoming a firewall block, they will. The solution is to encourage them not to try, rather than try to stop them once they're already doing it.
Community Veteran

P2P blocking is not done on port numbers anymore. Stew needs to talk to Dave T.
N/A

Peter, as far as I am aware, Home Surf and the "Surf" option for Premier & Lite users are different.
Community Veteran

Hmm, I'm try and get this confirmed, but having just checked 'elsewhere' you may be right.