cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stealthed ports

N/A

stealthed ports

can someone please tell me why when i test my ports on the shields up website or any other website ,they all come back as stealthed ,even when i just use my modem (no firewall) to connect,i also did not have xp or any other firewall running ,thanks shaun.
4 REPLIES
N/A

stealthed ports

It would be helpful if you gave some details of the operating and modem that you are using as well as the option you selected on the ShiledsUp! site.

Saying that the ports are stealthed simply means that the computer did not respond to any requests on the port. For example, port 21 is used for FTP; if your machine does not have an FTP server then you would not expect it to respond to a request on that port.

The most likely port for a Microsoft operating system to respond to is port 139 which is used for NetBIOS. This was installed by default on all MS operating systems prior to XP/2000. This was the port attacked by the MS-Blaster virus and is, I believe, blocked by plusNet.

I would expect a MS or Linux machine to respond to a "ping" request unless blocked by a firewall. You could try "pinging" your machine from dnstools.com to see if it responds.
Community Veteran

stealthed ports

Have you got a software firewall installed but just disabled before running the test. If so some require uninstalling before they stop interfering with your connection. ZoneAlarm is one such product which has a habbit of noit letting go of your network connection.
N/A

stealthed ports

thanks for your reply,in answer to your question i am using windows xp pro,and the modem is a d-link adsl 300t ,i tried setting up an ftp server but the result came back the same on port 21, stealthed,when i went to the shields up site i selected the option to test all common ports ,,ihope this helps a bit more.thanks again
N/A

stealthed ports

The documentation on the DSL300T is a bit sketchy. The Dlink web site only seems to have the installation guide available for download.

However, reading the installation guide it is apparant that the DSL300T is at least doing NAT (Network Address Translation). It may also be acting as a firewall. Check through all of the tabs and buttons to see if there is an option to "respond to pings" or "forward ports" or "setup services".

I suspect that the modem is blocking any inbound requests from reaching your PC.

Another possibility is that you may have some VPN softeware installed on your machine. My laptop, a work machine, has Cisco VPN installed so that I can access our work's network. This software has a built-in firewall (which can be turned off).
Also, if you have installed SP2 for XP it may have enabled the XP firewall. You can check if the network connections in control panel to see if it says "firewalled".