cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

static to dynamic ip

Brickinit
Grafter
Posts: 450
Registered: 06-08-2007

static to dynamic ip

this might be an old chestnut to some of you but can a static ip be changed back to a dynamic ip? i ask as i'm a bit concerned about the security aspects of a fix ip. is there any good software to hide your ip? i already have a firewall installed but it dosn't seem to hide my static ip address going out.

malc :confused:
17 REPLIES
N/A

RE: static to dynamic ip

You can change it back on the portal. You ip will allways be visable static or dynamic otherwise you couldnt do anything.

test your setup @ www.mwright.plus.com follow the firewall test

> this might be an old chestnut to some of you but can a static ip be changed back to a dynamic ip? i ask as i'm a bit concerned about the security aspects of a fix ip. is there any good software to hide your ip? i already have a firewall installed but it dosn't seem to hide my static ip address going out.
>
> malc :confused:

chino
Grafter
Posts: 446
Registered: 27-06-2007

RE: static to dynamic ip

Ok...

With DSL you can only have a static IP and thats that...

To hide / mask your ip all you need is a small appication which is a proxy server and this will be then become the main connection to the internet as in everything goes through it. With this is allows you to change your ip to anything you want however it will slow down the speed if bringing up web page but d/l should be the same.

cUnDaLl
--
1.7 GHz AMD XP, 768MB DDR PC2100 Crucial, 120 GB HD IBM Deskstar

Why do we do it because we can...... Smiley
N/A

RE: static to dynamic ip

I have Dsl, and in "My Connection" there is a little button i can press to change my IP from a static,to a dynamic IP .....
plusnetsux
Grafter
Posts: 122
Registered: 05-08-2007

RE: static to dynamic ip

> I have Dsl, and in "My Connection" there is a little button i can press to change my IP from a static,to a dynamic IP .....

Hi,
Please can you tell me exactly where this little button is? I cant seem to find it on my plusnet portal

Thanks.

Brickinit
Grafter
Posts: 450
Registered: 06-08-2007

RE: static to dynamic ip

thanks all for the input,still a bit confused, some of you say you can only have static with dsl, some not, i cann't find a button to put it back to dynamic obvious place to look was the same place as i switched from dynamic to static. the reason i switched it in the first place was to be able to collect my mail from my old isp.


> I have Dsl, and in "My Connection" there is a little button i can press to change my IP from a static,to a dynamic IP .....

N/A

RE: static to dynamic ip

This is something I asked plusnet about several weeks ago and with DSL you have to have a static IP. As long as you have a firewall such as ZoneAlarm pro there is no problem.
Brickinit
Grafter
Posts: 450
Registered: 06-08-2007

RE: static to dynamic ip

john
i do have a firewall the main reason i became concerned was i went to a site and it threw up a page spouting my ip ad. saying i should buy a product (obviously theirs) to hide this as my firewall was maybe not goot enough

thanks
malc



> This is something I asked plusnet about several weeks ago and with DSL you have to have a static IP. As long as you have a firewall such as ZoneAlarm pro there is no problem.

N/A

RE: static to dynamic ip

"To hide / mask your ip all you need is a small appication which is a proxy server and this will be then become the main connection to the internet as in everything goes through it."

Huh?

uhm, nope.. the ip address you are assigned is given to you by +net setting up a proxy server on your machine at best is just an extra security concern. The IP address you get on dsl is assigned by +net and there is no way of hiding it from the outside world, best thing you can do is get a firewall.
N/A

RE: static to dynamic ip

"i do have a firewall the main reason i became concerned was i went to a site and it threw up a page spouting my ip ad. saying i should buy a product (obviously theirs) to hide this as my firewall was maybe not goot enough"

This is one of the latest scams going around, and its quite a good one. Ive had a few users call me about it, just ignore it they are just scaremongering. As long as you have a firewall denying unauthorised connections to your address you have nothing to worry about.
Brickinit
Grafter
Posts: 450
Registered: 06-08-2007

RE: static to dynamic ip

thanks matt
i should sleep a bit sounder tonight,what do you think of the first replies advise,going to the fellows web site to test my fire wall??

thanks again

malc
>
> This is one of the latest scams going around, and its quite a good one. Ive had a few users call me about it, just ignore it they are just scaremongering. As long as you have a firewall denying unauthorised connections to your address you have nothing to worry about.

N/A

RE: static to dynamic ip

> i should sleep a bit sounder tonight,what do you think of the first replies advise,going to the fellows web site to test my fire wall??

Cant do any harm, one of the quickest and usually reliable ones is at www.grc.com (I think there is also a link to it on Jan's site)

Matt
chino
Grafter
Posts: 446
Registered: 27-06-2007

RE: static to dynamic ip

> "To hide / mask your ip all you need is a small appication which is a proxy server and this will be then become the main connection to the internet as in everything goes through it."
>
> Huh?
>
> uhm, nope.. the ip address you are assigned is given to you by +net setting up a proxy server on your machine at best is just an extra security concern. The IP address you get on dsl is assigned by +net and there is no way of hiding it from the outside world, best thing you can do is get a firewall.

Matt

What not even a webbased proxy ? AS i have used it and it gave me a different IP address....

cUnDaLl

--
1.7 GHz AMD XP, 768MB DDR PC2100 Crucial, 120 GB HD IBM Deskstar

Why do we do it because we can...... Smiley
N/A

RE: static to dynamic ip

You may be able to get a dynamic IP in the near future, see this post.

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=plusnet&Number=521155
N/A

RE: static to dynamic ip

"What not even a webbased proxy ? AS i have used it and it gave me a different IP address...."

Say for example your adsl ip address is 192.168.0.1
and say you use someone elses proxy server, say for example proxy.website.com whos ip address is 192.168.55.1 the only difference will be that the websites you visit while going through that proxy server will log you ip address as 192.168.55.1 (they cant tell any difference) you are still connected to the internet using the ip address 192.168.0.1 though and people can connect to you using that ip address.

Like I said before you *have* to have an ip address to be part of the internet, you may be sharing that 1 ip address with several hundred others (if you work at a large company) but there is still an internet ip address somewhere along the line. Otherwise it would be like taking the number off the front of your house and sign from the top of the street and still expecting the postman to be able to deliver you letters..

good this internet lark innit??

Matt