cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

static ip

N/A

static ip

hi folks, is it possible to change from a staic ip to a dyanmic ip by chance ? or does Plusnet still do not offer this option ?

thanks in advanced
18 REPLIES
N/A

static ip

I assume you're talking about ADSL (since that's the name of the forum Smiley) then no, PlusNet don't offer dynamic IPs. I believe they may think about introducing it, but I'm not sure.
N/A

static ip

yeah sorry i forgot to mentioned it was for adsl, Smiley i got the office 2000 connection and i was wondering if they offer a dyanmic ip for that package, hope they do offer it as u mentioned

thanks
N/A

static ip

Hmm, maybe the Office2000 product does offer dynamic IPs.

...Usually this IP address will be different every time you 'log on'; this is known as a dynamic IP address. If you prefer, you have the option to use a Static IP instead...

From this page. I was under the impression that dynamic IPs just weren't possible, no matter account you were on.
N/A

static ip

Nope, dynamic IPs are not possible at all on the ADSL platform.

All down to a BT misconfiguration from what I read.
N/A

static ip

I hit static IP and got one - i used to hve one on dialup too
N/A

static ip

On dialup you have the choice between the two. That button on the Connection Settings page just displays your current IP, it doesn't make a change between static or dynamic or anything - kinda misleading really.
N/A

static ip

does anyone know when plusnet plan to offer dynamic ips at all ?
thanks in advanced
N/A

static ip

The last word was they plan too. Though there was nothing resembling a time frame, even if to say "late next year".
N/A

static ip

ok thanks for the info
N/A

why do you you a dyno ip ????

ok can someone tell me what are the dis-advantages of having a static ip??

for years i have only dreamed of having a static and now you talk of dynamic as if its the bees nees.

:?: :? :?:
N/A

static ip

A static IP, by definition, never changes. Even if you reboot your connection equipment you are assigned the same address from the pool. This means that, in theory, if you were infected with say a trojan, and somebody knew your IP address, they would always be able to find you. Whereas, with a dynamic IP they would probably not find you again. This is quite flawed though, since if they had your hostname then they'd be able to find you even if your IP was dynamically assigned.

As long as you have the correct security measures (firewall and updated AV software) there aren't any security risks really.

I personally prefer my static IP, because it means if I want to host a quick game of Battlefield for example, I don't have to find my IP since I can remember it.
N/A

anyone setup direct ip (no-NAT)

just wondering if any one has set up a route with the NO-NAT option . if so how was it done and have you had any problem in setting it up and after.

deano
N/A

static ip

I think there most definitely is a privacy issue associated with static ips,and it's a pity that ISPs don't seem to give this a higher priority.
With a static ip you can easily be tracked(and even stalked) across the internet.
You can also for instance,have your ip 'blacklisted' by certain sites.
This has only happened to me on one occasion,when I posted something on a forum criticisizing an aspect of that particular site,but it was quite sobering to realize that this can be done.
There was mention a few months ago of introducing the ability to alter the reverse DNS settings through the portal.Has this been implemented?
pcorker
Grafter

static ip

"Being permanently connected with a Static IP address makes you extremely vulnerable to the interests of those with malicious or criminal intent."

Taken from PlusNet's Help And Support, HERE
Pat.