cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

static IP

Community Veteran

static IP

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to disable static IP on ADSL?

I am currently using static IP and would like to know how to dasable/enable this setting - I cant find it anywhere, can someone help?
10 REPLIES
N/A

RE: static IP

> Can anyone tell me if it is possible to disable static IP on ADSL?
>
> I am currently using static IP and would like to know how to dasable/enable this setting - I cant find it anywhere, can someone help?

I have just put in a request to tech support as I have the same problem. My connection is very slow as well.
N/A

Hi there. I tried to change to a dynamic IP weeks ago. I was told by plus net that with ADSL you cannot have a dynamic IP, so the option to change it does not appear. I wanted to do this for more security, but seeing as I can't, I installed a good firewall that has stealth properties. I would recomend that you do the same, and install a good anti virus and trojan checker. Hope this is of some help to you.
Regards, John Taylor.

N/A

> Hi there. I tried to change to a dynamic IP weeks ago. I was told by plus net that with ADSL you cannot have a dynamic IP, so the option to change it does not appear. I wanted to do this for more security, but seeing as I can't, I installed a good firewall that has stealth properties. I would recomend that you do the same, and install a good anti virus and trojan checker. Hope this is of some help to you.
> Regards, John Taylor.
>
>
Thats funny, so how comes whenever i logged in a few weeks ago i would get different ip addresses and connect to different servers, some faster than others. I think tech support need to answer this, I also have an open ticket with this problem.
N/A

Hi there. I don't know how you managed that. I have had the same IP since I got ADSL enabled at the begining of June, and the option to change to dynamic has never appeared anywhere that I can find. I phoned the support line about it, and what I wrote earlier is what they told me. Could Plus net be telling me porkies ? I shall watch this string with interest.
Regards, John Taylor.

N/A

> > Hi there. I tried to change to a dynamic IP weeks ago. I was told by plus net that with ADSL you cannot have a dynamic IP, so the option to change it does not appear. I wanted to do this for more security, but seeing as I can't, I installed a good firewall that has stealth properties. I would recomend that you do the same, and install a good anti virus and trojan checker. Hope this is of some help to you.
> > Regards, John Taylor.
> >
> >
> Thats funny, so how comes whenever i logged in a few weeks ago i would get different ip addresses and connect to different servers, some faster than others. I think tech support need to answer this, I also have an open ticket with this problem.
>

N/A

Thats true John.

I don't know how he managed that either!!
i have had the same static IP number since April and the host name always matches it.

So your PlusNet username is always your host name.
http://your-user-name.plus.com

For me, 212.159.68.178 so http://dolan.plus.com on a web browser is my host name. it is same for all ADSL accounts.

You can't change them, not yet anyway.

PS> Don't worry i have had ZoneAlarm pro and the firewall that comes with XP on all the time, plus i update my Norton every week and scan every few days!.

Good to see you're still here John.
i haven't seen your name since all that trouble with the fat pipe installation Smiley

Remember .. i think some folk left back then!

--
Jason
=====
N/A

BTW only one time i have seen my IP number change was when PlusNet had netsplit and the DNS numbers went to BT, rather than their own nwetwork.

This gives you a differet number.
but it was due to a fault a while back.

Cya.
--
Jason
=====
N/A

I don't think I can quite believe what i'm reading.
Plusnet said you CAN'T have a dynamic IP on ADSL??

That's complete BULL. It doesn't matter what your connection type is - as long as you're connecting to an ISP, you are ASSIGNED an IP when you connect. So the ISP chooses whether or not it's static or dynamic.

Plusnet simply don't have dynamic set up. I doubt it would be hard - they could have a range for static and a range for dynamic.

Personally i'm happy with static.
N/A

Hi there. Yes, that's exactly what they told me. Whether they meant I can't have a dynamic IP because they don't have the equipment, or because they didn't want to let me have one for any other reason wasn't made clear. I suppose I may have been a bit paranoid about security at the time, but with hindsight, and a bit more knowledge about these things,( I'm not a computer expert, I am learning as I go along ) it makes no difference to me now. I'm perfectly happy with a static IP. I would be interested to see what happens though.
Regards, John Taylor.

N/A

the only reason i can think of regarding this matter is that the DHCP server of Plus.net is configured to lease an IP address to a client set for a long period of time and using the MAC address of our modems as ID so we get the same IP add everytime

they could be using it for monitoring purposes...

just follow the others forumers' tip here and get a good firewall, trojan blockers and update your anti virus weekly

cheers!