cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

splitter connection?

N/A

splitter connection?

Hi
This may be a very stupid question...but why does the phone splitter I got with my USB modem (from +net) have two different ports on it, when the lines from my telephone and the modem both end in the same type of plug?
It means I can't have them both plugged in and also means the modem would have to be plugged in the port marked 'phone'...!
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

splitter connection?

Well, they certainly shouldn't have the same plugs!

How did you get your modem? The PlusNet starter packs include the correct cable for you...

Thomas
N/A

splitter connection?

I ordered the modem from PlusNet - can't remember the type but may have been 'connexant'?
The cable that came with it looks identical to the phone cable - one end square (to go in the modem/phone) and the other flat (to fit in the splitter/wall socket)
It looks like the modem cable should be square (ish) at both ends..is that right?
Community Veteran

splitter connection?

Yes, it should be.

Though I realise this is a very small issue, I think you should take it with PlusNet via link:Contact Us. The fact is, PlusNet have supplied you with the wrong cable...

Thomas
N/A

splitter connection?

Actualy, there is no halm in sending these calbes out, though may seem misleading slightly.

It is all based on how the splitter works.

The flat output from the splitter is a filtered connection. This is where your phone plugs in. A ADSL modem will not function from this port, as the line frequency for ADSL is filtered out.

The square port is 100% unfiltered.

The cable you have been supplied is designed so that you may plug the modem direct into the wall, and use the splitter for a phone at a seperate location.
N/A

splitter connection?

Many thanks for these explanations - I may try to get an alternative cable from +net anyway though, so can use the phone at same location...
N/A

splitter connection?

Use a simple socket doubler if you like.

Plug the doubler in the wall socket, then the filter in one side of the doubler. Plug your phone into the filter/splitter.

Plug your adsl modem into the other hole on the doubler.
Community Veteran

splitter connection?

It's not a good idea to use lots of doublers an extension leads... every connection introduces a bit more noise (even if it is only a small amount).

Thomas
N/A

splitter connection?

Negligible difference.

You'd notice more difference using any extension socket off of the one in front of you.