cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speedtests \o/

N/A

speedtests \o/

hi erm, im on 512kbs service etc using mtu of 1478 and everything else default and get the following speed test results on a adsl guide speed test:

478 / 516 (inc over heads)
247/ 266 (inc over heads)

erm i knw this is good for 512kbs but im just wandering how good it is compared to other ppl on 512kbs, so erm could u paste me your speed tests as well as ur mtu/rwin settings etc.

heh thx Smiley - just i play online games and would like the fastest possible connection
10 REPLIES
keithcalder
Grafter

speedtests \o/

Dont think you'll get much quicker than your going unless you upgrade of course. The results you have posted are similair to mine. Smiley
N/A

speedtests \o/

Yeah, it seems that those results are pretty much standard for 512k. I'm using the same MTU and get almost exactly the same speed.
vic_newey
Grafter

speedtests \o/

I get similar & play online (BF 1942) my pings are not as low as lots of others & I still get occasional connection prob warnings which I thought BBand would solve.
what pings do U get? I turned off auto updates on most software asd I know these can kick in @ anytime

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Double-post deleted.]
N/A

speedtests \o/

yea erm i have get pings of 30-40 on a 20 player server erm on a 20-30 on a 12-16 player server. also when playing c/w on a private server 15-25 i use all default settings and but use mtu of 1472. i have a Accessrunner Conexant latest drivers etc. and have changed the mtus on the control panel to 1472
vic_newey
Grafter

speedtests \o/

can't get pings that low, when conecting to a game server the displayed ping is never the same as the ping you see pressing tab during play, this seems always lower & I get puzzled by this,for me, ingame pings vary around 40 -60 -80 or a lot higher if the server is in USA etc. UK servers obviously ping the lowest .
Using the all seeing eye displays pings a lot lower than gamespy but which are showiing correctly?
I have a zoom USB modem & have altered the MTU to no effect,

regards
N/A

speedtests \o/

ASE uses the time it takes to get a reply to a scan or from a quick status message when you request a ping.

These pings are more accurate than performing a ping using the ping utility.

The ping utility is thr round trip time from your machine the the game server machine.

The ASE ping is the time it takes to send to the server and process the request. before returning it. This adds a fraction of time based on the server load, thus representing a more accurate figure.

Your message is confusing, and I aint sure which way around to read it.

can't get pings that low, when conecting to a game server the displayed ping is never the same as the ping you see pressing tab during play, this seems always lower

Does this mean the in-game ping when pressing tab is lower to that of ASE?

if so, try running the auto-detect network settings button in ASE. This will help max out the scan and ping abilities of the software, and represent a more acurate figure.

The in-game ping will likely allways be higher. You have to remember that the computer is now running a CPU intensive task, with a constant stream of network data to throw into the pile.

Another factor is the connection hardware you use. PCI and USB modem (USB more) use CPU time thereselves. The more network traffic, the more CPU needed.

The game and this network processing require time, and thus small delays start apearing whilst in game.
vic_newey
Grafter

speedtests \o/

yes, it looks confusing, what I mean is that when selecting a game to connect to out of the list displayed, the pings are displayed alongside each server & I usually select one with a reasonable ping but when you connect to that game & bring up the console to see player stats etc. then the ping displayed for yourself is completely different to that which you connected at if you see what I mean, it usually appears lower than the original connected ping. does that make any sense because I think I confused myself writing it!
I think you may be right re- the modem sucking power, should have bought a router type
vic_newey
Grafter

speedtests \o/

follow up to previous message,

how do I find the ASE auto detect facility as I would like to try this?
N/A

speedtests \o/

From the top of my head (I aint at home), this is in the preferances screen.

Should should quickly spot it by all the confusing settings boxes you can change. It allows you to select pre-defined sets, customise it and perform a detection sequence.

If I remember tonight, I will look at it properly.

The detetion sequance is a little bit high, but reducing the figures a notch makes it work perfectly. This was for personal comfort though, as the detected settings should be fine.
vic_newey
Grafter

speedtests \o/

just fouind ASE setting & got this result

ups/ bwidth 241831
d/s 464106
pack head 92

max pack 213
bwidth when pinging 65

is this good/ bad, should I alter anything? I will look on gamespy to see if there is similar setting page, must get on with my work ( work at home) since having b/band I keep creeping in to have a quick game on BF1942 !!