cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speed tests while downloading

N/A

Hi, I was just wondering if anybody could explain this for me..

If i am not downloading anything and run a speed test it comes back as expected (1700+Kb/s), (Im on 2meg)
however when i am downloading via bittorrent at only a very low speed (say 10kb/s) ( 80Kb/s) the speedtests go right down to around the 600 ish Kb.s mark..

1700-80 doesnt equal 600, so wheres my extra bandwidth going?

thx in advance
Rob
5 REPLIES
MysteryFCM
Grafter

testing whilst downloading is never a good idea as it throws out the test which thus, renders it completely inaccurate.
N/A

and you are using bittorrent, which is just plain nafff :p
N/A

thx for your replies,
yes, i understand that doing a download test whilst dloading will not give a proper reading re the speed of my line, but are such tests not just measuring the time it takes for my computer to download a file?

the problem i have here is that subjectively as well if i download anything via bittorrent (even at a sub 50kb/s speed) several things happen
1)internet goes very slowly, 2)other downloads go very slowly. i.e. unless i am downloading from the one source (either bittorrent or a single file download or using the web) i dont seem to be getting the full bandwidth. I could of course be imagining this, since i have no data to base this on, but using the internet (goes v slowly) when you entire bandwidth is taken up is the same on all connections and this is what seems to happen with my connection when i am dloading at around 50kb/s.

could this be due to my settings somehow?

Rob
MysteryFCM
Grafter

thx for your replies,
yes, i understand that doing a download test whilst dloading will not give a proper reading re the speed of my line, but are such tests not just measuring the time it takes for my computer to download a file?

Thats exactly what it is doing. However, by doing it whilst downloading, it's test is being interrupted by other events (such as your downloading) which adversely affects it's "test".

the problem i have here is that subjectively as well if i download anything via bittorrent (even at a sub 50kb/s speed) several things happen
1)internet goes very slowly, 2)other downloads go very slowly. i.e. unless i am downloading from the one source (either bittorrent or a single file download or using the web) i dont seem to be getting the full bandwidth. I could of course be imagining this, since i have no data to base this on, but using the internet (goes v slowly) when you entire bandwidth is taken up is the same on all connections and this is what seems to happen with my connection when i am dloading at around 50kb/s.

Quite possibly yes..... though you'd need to go with a dedicated and detailed speed test (e.g. DSL Reports) and perform it without the computer doing anything else, to get an accurate result.
N/A

Rob

Reducing your maximum upload on bittorent from 30 or 40 (cant remember which) down to 20 should work, i used to get lots of problems surfing when my upload was maxed out so setting it to 20 fixed it for me.