cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speed test differ from connect speed

N/A

hey all,

ive recently been upgraded to 8meg(ish) :p and come across abit of an odd problem.

Basically i connect at 7.6 meg or sometimes full 8meg but wheni run a speed test i get around the average of 5.98 Mbps (plusnet speed test) and roughly the same from adslguide speedtest. any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks in advance Smiley
4 REPLIES
N/A

Thats about par for the course. Your sync (connection) speed is a theoretical maximum, which even with optimal line conditions will be subject to overheads (losses) so the actual maximum is about 7.1Mbps.

The other issue is contention, that is you are sharing a fixed capacity data path with up to 50 other people, which will restrict throughput the more people are online. This has been exacerbated by Maxdsl because people can download at a faster rate but generally there has been no upgrade to capacity.

Hope that helps.
N/A

The throughput figure you quote seems reasonable given the sync speed.
shellsong
Grafter

The other issue is contention, that is you are sharing a fixed capacity data path with up to 50 other people, which will restrict throughput the more people are online. This has been exacerbated by Maxdsl because people can download at a faster rate but generally there has been no upgrade to capacity.

Contention should not be affected by faster downloading where PlusNet is concerned because usage is heavily managed-- so faster downloads mean they are finished quicker! It would be affected if capacity stayed the same but usage was allowed to rise proportionately. Mind you, modern services like multicasting practically demand increased capacity to function properly so we need LLU and/or drastic reductions in BTw pipe costs
N/A

I take your point about things downloading quicker and that only the same amount of bandwidth has been used, but human nature being what it is people will do more if it's easier/quicker to do so. The amusing video clip that took minutes to download on dial-up will download in seconds, so you'll look at acouple more whilst you're about, oh and I must send that to my m8 etc etc.