cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speed strangness

N/A

speed strangness

Like most, I have experienced the slow download speeds other adsl users have reported. About the most I can get form any download site is 7-8kbytes per sec - it used to be 45- 50+ form the best.
The strange thing is, if I check on one of the speed testing sites I mostly get reports of 300kbs which should be giving 30Kbytes + downloads.

Any ideas why the discrepancy ?

Rod
7 REPLIES
BoneMan
Grafter

RE: speed strangness

> Like most, I have experienced the slow download speeds other adsl users have reported. About the most I can get form any download site is 7-8kbytes per sec - it used to be 45- 50+ form the best.
> The strange thing is, if I check on one of the speed testing sites I mostly get reports of 300kbs which should be giving 30Kbytes + downloads.
>
> Any ideas why the discrepancy ?
>
> Rod

Rod,
It might be the site(s) you are downloading from. A lot of sites deliberately throttle their download speeds to give “fair shares” to all. The fact that the test site (which doesn’t throttle the download speed in order to “max-out” your connection) gives you a reasonable result suggests your connection is OK(ish – see other postings for +Net issues) and it is indeed the download site that is causing your disappointing results. My company has an enormous pipe on to the Internet but still I often see download speeds much worse than yours. It’s all down to the other end Smiley.

BoneMan

N/A

YOUR ALL CRAZY!..... CRAZY!!!!
Oh, and your all shoes.
N/A

> YOUR ALL CRAZY!..... CRAZY!!!!
> Oh, and your all shoes.

Not that kind of speed Mr Tac !

Thanks for the response
Ok on the suggestions I have tried a very wide range
of sites and I'm just not getting the download speeds I used to.

Rod
N/A

> Like most, I have experienced the slow download speeds other adsl users have reported. About the most I can get form any download site is 7-8kbytes per sec - it used to be 45- 50+ form the best.
> The strange thing is, if I check on one of the speed testing sites I mostly get reports of 300kbs which should be giving 30Kbytes + downloads.
>
> Any ideas why the discrepancy ?
>
> Rod

Hi,

Can you try downloading a file from the file vault (look in the 'My Tools' menu) and let me know what speeds you get? As this is effectively a local download rather than across the internet you should get you highest speeds and a good indication of how the connection is performing.

Regards,
Rob
--
| Robert Kelly...............Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +

N/A

I tried donloading a file, it went real fast to start with then settled down to around 49k/sec
which is brilliant.
So it looks like the speed reduction is between
plus and the rest of the net.

Regards
Rod

> > Like most, I have experienced the slow download speeds other adsl users have reported. About the most I can get form any download site is 7-8kbytes per sec - it used to be 45- 50+ form the best.
> > The strange thing is, if I check on one of the speed testing sites I mostly get reports of 300kbs which should be giving 30Kbytes + downloads.
> >
> > Any ideas why the discrepancy ?
> >
> > Rod
>
> Hi,
>
> Can you try downloading a file from the file vault (look in the 'My Tools' menu) and let me know what speeds you get? As this is effectively a local download rather than across the internet you should get you highest speeds and a good indication of how the connection is performing.
>
>
> Regards,
> Rob
> --
> | Robert Kelly...............Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Technical Support......................for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +
>
>
>

N/A

Another great night of 5 - 8k downloads...my patience is wearing thin, i had enough of adsl and all it's bullshit... 512k another pile of bullshit from BT, not going to make the same mistake next year.
N/A

> > Like most, I have experienced the slow download speeds other adsl users have reported. About the most I can get form any download site is 7-8kbytes per sec - it used to be 45- 50+ form the best.
> > The strange thing is, if I check on one of the speed testing sites I mostly get reports of 300kbs which should be giving 30Kbytes + downloads.
> >
> > Any ideas why the discrepancy ?
> >
> > Rod
>
> Hi,
>
> Can you try downloading a file from the file vault (look in the 'My Tools' menu) and let me know what speeds you get? As this is effectively a local download rather than across the internet you should get you highest speeds and a good indication of how the connection is performing.
>
>
> Regards,
> Rob
> --
I have tried the above but only get speed of 7.20KB
sec

Can you help me

Martin
>
>