cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speed down by half.... AGAIN

N/A

this seems to happen to me quite often..... over the last 10 days or so my speeds have dropped to 30k down maximum no matter what tweaks i try or what sites i go on to download stuff it never gets above 30k.

why is this?
8 REPLIES
N/A

Re: speed down by half.... AGAIN

why is this?

Contention. 512k / you and 49 other users = errr 10k each (Hmm, just a bit faster than my crappy dial up)

Theoretically, of course, this should never happen. But it sounds as though the vast majority are using the pipe. Hopefully it will ease off when the holidays are over
N/A

if it was contention then it would vary from night to day but i get a maximum of 30k at all times
N/A

it is one of those internet unknown issues ?
csogilvie
Grafter

Have you had a look at the report your speed problems thread?
N/A

yes i've read that thread from start to finish i've also tried all the usual mtu tweaking,reinstalling windows getting the latest drivers for my router and ethernet card trying it connected direct to the socket without a splitter etc and nothing changes the max download speed of 30k.
from what i've seen with my connection never going over 30k i must be capped or something,even when i'm downloading from a 100mbit ftp i get a constant 30k for hours on end.

that to me is not contention.
painswck
Grafter

have you actually posted a ticket and to the thread so Ian can look at the problem. Also there is the exchange checker to see if your exchange is one of those with a known problem.
N/A

where would i find the exchange checker?
N/A