Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

so whats the bottom line?

N/A

so whats the bottom line?

I just saw this post on the status page

>Announcement to customers
>Notice to Plusnet Customers from Bob Goldsmith, >Manager of Network Operations and Services.
>
>Due to the continued faith that you, the >customers, have shown in PlusNet in the last year, >we have grown at an exceptional speed. Recently, >our growth reached a level that dictated the need >to make a major upgrade to our core network >including, but not limited to, the installation of >a much higher specification system to terminate >our ADSL sessions. This accompanied upgrades to >our core routers and Internet Connectivity.
>
>In the course of this upgrade you will be aware >that we have experienced a number of serious >problems inclusive of the hardware failure within >our core routing environment this morning. In >order to bring our service back we have had to >take some extraordinary measures which needed to >be executed in a careful and deliberate manner. >This has, unfortunately, added a significant >extension to our earlier estimates of time to >return to normal service.
>
>All of our engineers are working to capacity to >complete this work in the shortest time. I would >like to personally apologise for the lengthy >interuption of service and thank you for your >continued patience. We completely understand the >seriousness of this problem, and I can assure you >that we will be working non stop until we are >happy that the current problems with connectivity >are fully resolved.
>
>At the conculsion of this work, our ADSL service >will be at a highest possible level of stability >and performance, and will be superior to the >network provided by just about any other provider. >I would like to thank you again for your continued >patience during this extended service outage, and >would assure you that following the resolution of >this problem I will contact you all again and >provide full details of the events that have >occured.
>
>With Regards,
>
>Bob Goldsmith
>PlusNet Network Operations and Services Manager.

Now this is all well and good but it doesnt actualy tell us anything. How long is this going to take (we know its longer than expected). Are we going to be hours/days/weeks without a working service? Im not irate but I would like to know what the situation is.

Informing us would also help plusnet as I am sure that having the majority of customsts trying again and again to use their service isnt helping matters. If we knew it wouldnt be working for 3 hours then we would simply wait till you get the work done. So fess up give us a REALISTIC time frame here with out and BS, and we will respect you all the more for it.
2 REPLIES
Saturn
Grafter

RE: so whats the bottom line?

I would like to know what the problem is. I thought it was just a matter of replacing older equipment, but apparently not. Did someone jump into this without properly knowing what needed to be done. It obviously went wrong during yesterday's attempt, so surely there was a clue not to do anything without being absolutely sure.

I have to say the more I think about this the more Bob should pipe up and explain his department's actions. Regular and meaningful situation updates would be useful too.
N/A

RE: so whats the bottom line?

I agree to, would be nice for them to explain EXACTLY whats goin wrong where and what they are doing. Also as for the status updates, while you are askin for them why not ask for them to be on time, ever notice how the updates never come at the times they say they will?