cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow to connect

N/A

slow to connect

just got usb connexant modem and all up and running in an hr or so but not helped by wrong drivers being shipped (support: oh yeah, "they're" sending out the wrong drivers), downloaded new ones all fine but it takes over a minute to connect after "verifying password" , then works fine & fast, any ideas?
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: slow to connect

I had this problem in the first few weeks of being connected and naturally i thought it was down to the plusnet servers. But about a week ago i happened to reinstall Windows (ME) with original settings and since then I have been connecting with no delay, but i'm not sure why. It seems to me to be a network setting problem, but does any Windows expert out there have any ideas?

> just got usb connexant modem and all up and running in an hr or so but not helped by wrong drivers being shipped (support: oh yeah, "they're" sending out the wrong drivers), downloaded new ones all fine but it takes over a minute to connect after "verifying password" , then works fine & fast, any ideas?

Jim
Grafter

I had exactly the same problem, just done a complete clean re-install of win 98,it now connects almost instantly.
Its also running about 10% faster according to adslguide'

Downstream 459 Kbps (57.4 KB/sec) 527 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 246 Kbps (30.8 KB/sec) 282 Kbps (inc. overheads)
It must be a configuration problem

N/A

Thanks. spoke to plusnet suport in the meantime who said anything up to 2 minutes to connect was normal. is it? I thought adsl was supposed to get you connected quicker as well as work quicker. Does anyone know if I can look at any settings first before resorting to a re-install which I not sure i can do easily as my advent pc didnt come with windows discs, just the pre-installed image on the hard disk.

fonejacker
Grafter

Hi,

While there can occasionally be delays in ADSL authentication due to the process of forwarding data packets between BT and ourselves during authentication, in my opinion 2 minutes is too long.

The most likely cause of slow authentication is that you have "Log onto Network" ticked in the advanced setting of your dial up networking. Have you checked for this?

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

> Hi,
>
> While there can occasionally be delays in ADSL authentication due to the process of forwarding data packets between BT and ourselves during authentication, in my opinion 2 minutes is too long.
>
> The most likely cause of slow authentication is that you have "Log onto Network" ticked in the advanced setting of your dial up networking. Have you checked for this?
>
> Regards,
>
> Ian Wild
> PlusNet Customer Support
>

Thanks Ian, and yes I found this answer in another thread, tried it and it fixed the problem, connection is now about 5 secs and a shortcut is in my startup now so its ready to go whenever i boot. Hope your colleagues on the phone lines read this!