cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow speeds of on more than 2mb

N/A

Hello,

Why am I getting slow speed tests of no more than 1.7mb when I've requested 2 times now the upgrade to 8mbHuh I've reset my router etc all to no avail!

Jason Luckett
17 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

I've given your profile a nudge, if you disconnect/reconnect you should see better speeds coming through.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

It looks like I have the same problem, or something else that wont let my speed go any higher than 2mb.
N/A

slow speeds

just tested again and the speed is 0.9mb!! Why advertise 8mb and not deliver??

Thanks for looking into in but I'm afraid it's not good enough. I waste much time checking this and restting routers etc all to no avail.

Jason
N/A

MaxDSL is an adaptive rate product and speed will vary over the first ten days of connection after an upgrade. This is down to the exchange adapting your sync rate in search of a "stable" connection.

Due to the physics of broadband, the higher the rate the lower the signal to noise ratio, therefore on a longer or lossy line you will be unable to sync with as high a rate as someone with a good line closer to the exchange.

After the exchange has determined your maximum stable speed then throughput should stablise. Try rebooting once a day to see if that helps, and keep an eye on the BT Speedtester as this will tell you the IP profile BT has assigned you.

Ultimately the sync rate you see will be determined by the quality of your line and internal equipment, not by PlusNet themselves.

Nb- This tutorial might be useful as might this thread on internal wiring.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi Jason,

The product is UP TO 8Mb, unfortunately no ISP can guarantee what speed you are going to see on an ADSL connection. There are simply too many variables involved including the length of the line, quality of the connection along with internal wiring and setup.
The links in lestones post give a good overview of MAX dsl and how it works.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

In no way do I expect 8mb connection but speed tests consistently show only 1mb recently at best. The upgrade was requested about 6 months ago so there is no problem with the 10 day syncing. I'm afraid the service just isn't the service promised or even half promised and I shall be cancelling my broadband connection within the next 2 weeks if I don't see an increase. Plusnet 8mb is advertised, 8mb is never achieved, 2mb isn't even achieved! This just isn't fair, many other users seem to have the same problem. I have done a BT speedtest and received a 5.6mb throughput capability? I know lots of othe ISP's provide the same promises and fail to deliver, this is why originally i choose Plusnet, consistently the best for customer service, but alas not recently and not so now.

Thanks for trying.

Jason
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Can you post the results from the BT Speedtest please.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Bookman
Grafter

Jason, If you've got the slow connection with Plusnet you'll probably have it with any ISP, so there's not much point in slanging them about it. At least with PN there are ways to communciate with them and they will listen to you. It's much, much worse elsewhere.

Work with them, not against them, and give them chance to solve the problem. Smiley
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Jason,

If you can raise a fault here we can get it looked into for you. Until you tell us there is a problem we can't really help.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Elvin,

The BT speedtest was as follows:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 4000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 6336 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3485 kbps

Huh?

Mybarnes, you are completely right other service providers are much worse but it still doesn't make it easier, why pay 14.99 per month for a service that isn't supplied??

To plusnet,

Why do I need to raise a fault, surely the service works or doesn't?

Thanks,

Jason
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Based on that speedtest result the connection looks fine, are you seeing the same kind of speed that the BT Speedtest gives on other speedtests?

If not I would suggest running the following test and post the result URL back

www.dslreports.com/tweaks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Hi Jason.

For that sync, you should have an IP profile of 5500kbps, with a throughout rate of prob around 5Mbps. It is possible that you synced lower than this, to put you onto a 4000kbps profile. if this is the case it takes the BT systems 3 days to increase the IP profile, if, you stay synced at a higher level. Im afraid this is the way Max DSL works. If you sync lower, your throughout immediately goes lower. I agree its not a fair situation, but its of BTs making, and we have to live with it. I would monitor for around 3 days, making sure you are still synced above 6240Kbsp for a 5500kbps profile. If you still have a profile of 4000 then raise a ticket, for plus to give BT a kick up the proverbial. This site is good at explaining how Max actually works. www.kitz.com

hope this helps.
Bookman
Grafter

This site is good at explaining how Max actually works. www.kitz.com

hope this helps.

Hesketh, This URL must be wrong - the home page begins: "KITZ Corporation, established in 1951, is one of the world's leading manufacturers of valves, and Japan's largest."

Looking for "kitz" on Google I get:

http://www.kitz.co.uk
N/A

That is the correct site.