cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow speed, a constant problem???

N/A

I have done several speed test ever since i joined plus.com and I am still very unhappy with the speeds that are not provided but that I and others pay for.
I am paying for a 1mb connection and this is my latest result

Date Speed Achieved (kbps)
19-11-2004 00:08:00 333.7
19-11-2004 00:07:14 269.9
19-11-2004 00:06:48 332.7
18-11-2004 20:16:20 281.6
18-11-2004 20:15:55 527
18-11-2004 20:15:22 374.7
18-11-2004 20:14:59 321.9

What are you going to do about this poor service. I use my connection to watch stuff from my home country and constantly get poor streaming due to the slow speed.

I raised this roughly a month ago and talked to someone on the phone ( who wasn't very friendly), a call I pay for and not plus.net. I wanted to cancel my agreement with plus.net. I was then told that there wasn't a problem and okay I gave them the chance to see if any improvement was present and yes there was shortly but now we are back again. Do we really have to do speed checks every day morning, day and nights to make a point that you provide a poor service and dont come back with a reply to check this and that, you are just stalling the problem instead of either compensate for not providing what you are contracted to do. If a dvd player ( or for that matter any product ) didnt work all the time wouldn't you complain.

You are not doing a good job at keeping your customers, I for one will be leaving very soon if it doesn't improve with a ver Evil y short period of time.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We'll I've just run a speed test on my 1MB connection and got 983.10kbps.

Have you tried disconnecting, leaving it a few minutes , then re-connecting to try to get on to a different pipe? Some of the pipes are a lot busier than others. If you look at the first hop of a tracert to anywhere you will see it contains either ptn-ag or pth-ag. Generally if you manage to get one of the ptn-ag pipes you will get better results.

Have you looked at the exchange checker on the usertools site (http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/)?

Have you run the BT speedtest to determine of the problem is Plusnet or before you get to Plusnet?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

I've just done the speed check and off course the speed is fine now its 8am and not 8pm, My point is that it cant be right customers need to pull up the floor boards, dig up BT's cable's and disconect and spend a lot of time checking everything when the problem off course most times are in the evening when theres an overload. If this was just a one off okay but it isn't, you just needs to look at many previous stickest's raised, that's why I wrote constant problem And no I dont smoke their pipes :-)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I'm afraid I can't see this changing before Monday week when the heavy downloaders are moved elsewhere. If you are unfortunate enough to end up on a pipe with 20 or 30 of the people who are constantly downloading at full speed, I'm afraid speed will suffer.

The best you can do is try for another less busy pipe.

It is still possible that the contention at busy times is between you and Plusnet, so a quick check on the exchange status is worth while.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

As per the previous message, have you checked your exchange on the exchange checker (link above)?

As for digging up BT cables, which ones do you refer to?

Anything in your premesis after the master socket is your own responsibility, and not that of BT even if they installed it.

BT only provide there voice and data servcie upto the inner test socket of the Master socket. Anything connected to the front face, or that of the terminals on the rear of the front face, are the responsibility of yourself.
N/A

It is clear that the problem seemes to be the heavy down loaders, I can accept that which I'm not one of but plus.net should have been wise enough to anticipte problems like that and have reacted long ago re. what they provide and their pipes etc. as mentioned earlyere this isn't the first time and I find it diffecult to accept that it alway's is the customer who is doing something wrong or hasn't checked everything proberbly. All I would like is from plus.net is that they provide what I pay for, I think that is a fair request.