cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow or what????

N/A

slow or what????

Having joined PlusNet after reading good reviews across many forums, I was (note the past tense) happy with the service for the first month or so...no disconnection and good dl/ul speeds.

But over the past couple of months, my connection disconnects every so often and my speeds, well, have a look...

PlusNET Technologies Bandwidth Meter

Your current bandwidth reading is:

50.20kbps

which means you can download at 6.28 KB/sec. from our servers.

wow!! 6.28 kb/s...that's almost as fast as my normal modem!!
I know PlusNet are having a few problems recently but this is just unacceptable...I'm paying £22.99 of my hard earned money on a service that is not fit for the purpose as advertised.
Raising a ticket also did nothing...it came back with a lame excuse.
Btw, I've win2k, Samsung AHT-E310 and yes, my MTU is set at 1458.
8 REPLIES
N/A

RE: slow or what????

> Having joined PlusNet after reading good reviews across many forums, I was (note the past tense) happy with the service for the first month or so...no disconnection and good dl/ul speeds.
>
> But over the past couple of months, my connection disconnects every so often and my speeds, well, have a look...
>
> PlusNET Technologies Bandwidth Meter
>
> Your current bandwidth reading is:
>
> 50.20kbps
>
> which means you can download at 6.28 KB/sec. from our servers.
>
> wow!! 6.28 kb/s...that's almost as fast as my normal modem!!
> I know PlusNet are having a few problems recently but this is just unacceptable...I'm paying £22.99 of my hard earned money on a service that is not fit for the purpose as advertised.
> Raising a ticket also did nothing...it came back with a lame excuse.
> Btw, I've win2k, Samsung AHT-E310 and yes, my MTU is set at 1458.

Wow...I'm lucky. I'm fairly hammering away at:

2002-11-05 17:11:03 EST: 56 / 22
Your download speed : 56920 bps, or 56 kbps.
A 6.9 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 22002 bps, or 22 kbps.
Your connection hardly qualified as broadband, at least in that test.

As tested by dslreports.com! They even added the "hardly qualified as broadband" quip themselves....mmmmmmm

I'm now thinking of going to a single channel isdn line with BT. I hear you can get downloads at 64kbps!

Seriously though, I'm glad I'm on a month to month contract...gaming is non existent. It's like walking through mud.

Cheers

N/A

same here (from dslreports.com)

Your download speed : 56601 bps, or 56 kbps.
A 6.9 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 25936 bps, or 25 kbps.
Your connection hardly qualified as broadband, at least in that test

The question is: What are PlusNet doing about it before the customer base starts to fade away with the choice of isp's these days Huh
N/A

I too have perhaps the slowest piece of ***** connection ever, and i cant believe im paying £23 a month for it. my dl speed was lingering at 2k / second!!! that is amazingly crap. i cant believe there has been no offer of reinbursement for at least 1 months subscription because it is absolutely poo. i cant even open most websites because it takes that long i get timed out.. o my life.

is this some sort of wind up?Huh
N/A

you think that is bad have a taste of this:

Downstream 66 Kbps (8.3 KB/sec) 75 Kbps
Upstream 27 Kbps (3.4 KB/sec) 31 Kbps

I am going to where i bought my modem and swopping it, i've re trunked cable up almost and hoping it to be sorted for next week. If this dont get me no further then i dont know what to do. I am paying for a 56k service that my ISA modem can do just as good.

Community Veteran

> you think that is bad have a taste of this:
>
> Downstream 66 Kbps (8.3 KB/sec) 75 Kbps
> Upstream 27 Kbps (3.4 KB/sec) 31 Kbps
>
> I am going to where i bought my modem and swopping it, i've re trunked cable up almost and hoping it to be sorted for next week. If this dont get me no further then i dont know what to do. I am paying for a 56k service that my ISA modem can do just as good.
>
>

Ive got a theory about all this slowness that people are experiencing and I think that it's nothing to do with Plusnet.
reading around it seems that a lot of people are suffering from this but also there are many including myself that only suffered when the "Fat Pipes" became overloaded.
As soon as these were upgraded my speeds went back to normal, with only very small reductions over the period of the day.
I think that what is happening is the massive influx of ADSL users to many of the ISP's who offer the service. These Isp's are all sharing the BT network and in my humble opinion this is where the bottlenecks are.
This would account for the fact that some areas seem reasonably ok but others are suffering.

Any thoughts on this theory?

--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk
N/A

I found the answer it is here http://www.blug.linux.no/rfc1149/

:lol
N/A

Have a look at "Big speed increase" above..

Smiley
N/A

"....Ive got a theory about all this slowness that people are experiencing and I think that it's nothing to do with Plusnet.
reading around it seems that a lot of people are suffering from this but also there are many including myself that only suffered when the "Fat Pipes" became overloaded.
As soon as these were upgraded my speeds went back to normal, with only very small reductions over the period of the day.
I think that what is happening is the massive influx of ADSL users to many of the ISP's who offer the service. These Isp's are all sharing the BT network and in my humble opinion this is where the bottlenecks are.
This would account for the fact that some areas seem reasonably ok but others are suffering.

Any thoughts on this theory? ....""

I think you are onto something here my old tater! Speeds worldwide have been very depressed for two weeks or more... http://www.internettrafficreport.com/main.htm... but today things are very fast and still improving... and there's a noticeable slickness appeared in PlusNet's response. Maybe I'm commenting too soon but over the past few days PlusNet pages have never been a problem, only the big beyond!!