cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should I replace NTE5 faceplate to improve SNR margin

N/A

Hi there

This could be a bit off topic but I think many other people could be affected so heres hoping. I have a voyager205 and my lines stats are poor - SNR margin is only 6db (average, yes thats six db) - and its a lot more unstable in the recent hot weather. The 205 is normally plugged into an extension socket about 15m from the master socket (which is wired from the master socket).

Luckily I have an NTE5 master socket at the end of BTs twisted pair direct from the street so I have plugged the 205 into the test socket behind the faceplate to locate the fault. This test showed that the SNR margin increased to 10db - not a lot but quite a bit better than 6db. This shows that the error could be the extension cabling or the connections. To eliminate the cabling I plugged the 205 into the socket on the front of the NTE5 faceplate the SNR margin reverted to the previously bad 6db.

This tells me that its not my extension cabling thats a problem, its the NTE5 faceplate itself. This is because the faceplate plugs directly into the test socket behind the faceplate (there is no cabling between).

Therefore my options are:

1. to replace the NTE5 faceplate with another (superior) version
2. to replace the NTE5 faceplate with an NTE5 ADSL filter faceplate (to split the adsl and telephone lines at source)

I am not sure which option to go for. I dont think option #2 is particularly helpful because I dont want to permanently plug my 205 into the front of the NTE5 ADSL faceplate because this is in my hallway and would be in the way. My ideal solution would be #1 assuming I can get a superior veriosn (better quality connections).

Im pretty sure my testing is correct and te problem is the existing NTE5 faceplate. Ive tested the 205 with both the test socket behind the faceplate and the socket on the front of the faceplate and the SNR margins are quite different.

Can anyone advise on the best option?

Thanks
Mark
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Are there any wires attached to the back of the face plate. If there are it could be a ring wire problem - see this link http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php
N/A

Its not a very scientific test as the db changes with the weather and the price of egg and cheese in zambi.
Remember that the snr is relevent to the line speed so to judge you must get the same line speed each time.

I have found the phone makes all the differance which would acount for your 4 db. If I plug an old phone in my snr is 6 plug in a new phone with top notch filter and its 19. Changing the phone makes a big change in the snr so try without a phone(which is what you tested in the bt test socket) and try other phones if you can
Community Veteran

the price of egg and cheese in zambi.

is it cheaper than Aldi?
N/A

Worth trying

I fitted an NTE5 ADSL faceplate (ADSL nation) and sync rate jumped by 1 mbit/s - so worth a go for £12.
N/A

Are there any wires attached to the back of the face plate. If there are it could be a ring wire problem - see this link http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php

Yep, I have disconnected the ring wire (cable 3) from the master socket, but it made no difference. Still, it was worth a try;-)
N/A

Its not a very scientific test as the db changes with the weather and the price of egg and cheese in zambi.
Remember that the snr is relevent to the line speed so to judge you must get the same line speed each time.

I tried the connections immediately after each other, the weather didnt have time to change;-) but point taken. This is the first time Im trying this so Im still learning.

I have found the phone makes all the differance which would acount for your 4 db. If I plug an old phone in my snr is 6 plug in a new phone with top notch filter and its 19. Changing the phone makes a big change in the snr so try without a phone(which is what you tested in the bt test socket) and try other phones if you can

I tried to disconnect all phones, but it made no difference anyway. I think I might end up going for a new faceplate at this rate.
N/A

Re: Worth trying

I fitted an NTE5 ADSL faceplate (ADSL nation) and sync rate jumped by 1 mbit/s - so worth a go for £12.

thats what I thought might be my next option. But as I said in the posting I dont want to trail a cat5 cable from the front of the NTE5 ADSL faceplate to my router as they are in different rooms. Ideally I want to be able to hook my router upto an existing extension socket. I just wonder if the NTE5 ADSL faceplate will allow me to do this, or should I just get a normal NTE5 faceplate with better quality connectors (if such a thing exists).
N/A

NTE5 Faceplate

The faceplate I fitted came with an option for an unfiltered extension.

I am running broadband from the extension. I think the improvement comes from the fact that the faceplate filters all other signals (especially the ring wire) to effectively create two distinct sub-systems - a phone line and associated extensions and a pure ADSL extension.
N/A

Re: NTE5 Faceplate

The faceplate I fitted came with an option for an unfiltered extension.

I am running broadband from the extension. I think the improvement comes from the fact that the faceplate filters all other signals (especially the ring wire) to effectively create two distinct sub-systems - a phone line and associated extensions and a pure ADSL extension.

interesting. So (to clarify) you have no cat5 cables coming out of the front of your NTE5 ADSL faceplate. Instead your using an unfiltered extension socket elsewhere to connect your router (presumably your having to use microfilters on each phone as well)?

This could be exactly the solution I am looking for. Thanks GerryNoble.
N/A

NTE5 Faceplate

Am running a BT Voyager 105 USB modem from a ADSL filter attached to the extension. The extension is filtered back at NTE5 faceplate (extension wires connected to Ports A and B ). The effect (I think) of the NTE5 faceplate has been to eradicate the problems of SNR presented by the ring wire and give a cleaner connetion to the extension for the combined adsl filter/broadband modem to connect at max possible sync speed.

The download speed remains at 4 mbits/s - but thats what BT estimate my line is capable of achieving.
N/A

PS

No need to filter the phones now - the faceplate takes care of this!
N/A

This sounds like it could be my solution then. And for £12 its a no-brainer. Is this the same/similar faceplate

http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=90

??

Thanks again
Mark
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

This is the one to use as it doesn't involve changing the BT wiring http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php
N/A

thanks holtlane (and gerrynoble). I just want to double check with either of you guys that I can use this faceplate http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php and still plug my 205 router into an "extension" socket (because I dont want to plug it into the ADSL port on the front of the master socket).

I am re-iterating this point because there is a line in the instalation pdf doc thats says: "The extensions connected to the numbered terminals can be used for voice only as the ADSL signal has been filtered out".

That sounds to me like your forced to use the ADSL socket on the front of the faceplate. However it also says "If you would like to extend the unfilterd ADSL signal use the terminals labelled B & A".

So I am a little confused here. Does this mean that I can connect a separate telephone extension cable to terminals A & B to extend the ADSL signal around the house? This sounds like I would need 2 extension cables coming out of the master socket - 1 for telephone and 1 for ADSL.

Can that be right?