cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

setting up ADSL in windows XP

kwhawell
Grafter

Hi all, I was just looking in my system to see how I go about setting up the ADSL when I get it all here, and, I noticed the instructions on the net say you have to use dial up networking to get it going, why? since windows XP has a setup option for connection an ADSL connection without the need for messing about with fake phone numbers, any reason why we have to use the dialup connection? why has XP got the option for ADSL connections if us ADSL customers do not use them? just curious,
4 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

You don't use dialup networking to get it going, you just set it up in Network Connection in the control panel.

This page should help:
http://www.plus.net/support/adsl/adsl_hardware_help.shtml
vic_newey
Grafter

Strangely enough, if I use my Zoom USB modem then I have to click ' Dial ' on the option screen that pops up even tho there is no number to dial. If I use my Router modem then it auto connects as soon as windows is loaded.
kwhawell
Grafter

sounds like I am being a bit of an idiot here, but what would happen if I set my ADSL up like this?
1, open control pannel,
2, double click network connections,
3, click on create a new connection on left side pannel,
4, click next to get off the first wizzard screen,
5, click connect to the internet, and click next,
6, click "set up my connection manualy," and click next,
7, click "connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and password, the text for this description is "this is a high speed connection using either a DSL or cable modem, your ISP may refer to this type of connection as PPPoE." click next,
8, wizard asks for ISP name, type plusnet, and click next,
9, wizzard will then ask for user name password feed those in, for example anusername@plusdsl.net or whatever it is supposed to be, type in a password and retype in the b ox asking for confirmation, then, check the 2 check boxes, one asking the pc to use this connection for anyone using the pc, and the other to make it default, click next,
10, the last screen says it's finished and offers a check box to make shortcut to connection, click finish here,

the plusnet instructions differi n that they say to set up a dialup connection, and follow it through entering anything you like for number as it is not used, surely if the way I described works, wouldn't it be worth using? I'm gonna give it a pop when I get up and running to see if it works, if any one has any ideas please feed back, I will return to this thread to update once I am online and let you know which method I ended up using.
vic_newey
Grafter

I simply used the driver disks that came with my modems to get online initially.
UK ISP's use PPoA by the way