cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

seperate ips and hub

N/A

seperate ips and hub

do i need a router to be able to use the ips plusnet gave me?

at the mo i have a netgear 5 port hub and the internet connection is running through a usb modem into my pc

im using xp's connection sharing at the mo but i may as well get use out of the ip addys Cheesy
6 REPLIES
N/A

seperate ips and hub

You dont need a router to make use of the IP no.

Appart from that i'm not entiry sure how you mean to make use of it. You are allready using it if you are online, albeit transparently via connection sharing.

A router could make setting up anything on your network a bit easier but it sertainly not esential.
N/A

seperate ips and hub

do i have to assign each pc its own internet ip then?

i thought with ics ebing enabled, all the pcs connecting through me would have my ip address
N/A

seperate ips and hub

If using ICS within windows, then you do not need to be concerned with the IPs. ICS will assign them to the other systems as needed.

However, if you have applied for and been granted multiple IP block from +Net, then you can't use this with ICS or a USB modem.

You will need a router for this.
N/A

seperate ips and hub

cheers chief
N/A

seperate ips and hub

However, if you have applied for and been granted multiple IP block from +Net, then you can't use this with ICS or a USB modem.

You will need a router for this.

Sorry, I don't understand this comment! (The bit about the USB modem, I mean; fair enough about ICS)

Surely, a USB modem's fine with multiple IP addresses -- the PC it's connected to acts as the router?

Sounds to me though, as if the original poster is using a block of public IP addresses just for the sake of it, rather than having any real need for them.
N/A

seperate ips and hub

You can use them with a USB or PCI modem, provided you have the drivers for windows to use them properly.

Windows will only answer to the IP provided at connection, IE , a single IP address, and not any others. ANythign addresssed to a different IP will be treated just the same way traffic on a LAN is.