cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

send and receive emails from other ISP's

N/A

We have a 2mb connection with plus net at work and i have a 500kbs plus net connection at home which i have only just started using yesterday. (modem took a week to arrive Evil )

At work i have been able to send and receive emails from my old ISP tiscali via outlook xp which took me ages to work out how to configure. Our emails at work use exchange 2000. I configured it as any other pop account but the outgoing server is the exchange server rather than tiscali then in more settings i tick my outgoing server require authentication and enter the logon details. This seems to work very well.

At home i have been trying to do the same thing, although at home i don't use an exchange server, i have tried to send and receive emails through my old ISP. I have managed to receive them but sending seems to be a problem. I tried playing around with the settings but can't seem to get it to work.

What i would like to know why does it work without any problems whilst i am work, but can't get it to work at home, is there something i am doing wrong.
6 REPLIES
N/A

Set your outgoing mail server (SMTP) to relay.plus.net

Darren
N/A

None of your e-mail is being sent via Tiscali, which is why it is failing.

First, the Exchange server will try to directly deliver e-mail using MX records (I would check if your Exchange server is failing to send to AOL or not. AOL normaly block connections from such PlusNet customer connections).

This means it acts exactly like your ISPs outgoing mail server. The are benefits and drawbacks, which we won't go into on this.

This is why your Exchange server sends fine.

As for your home connection.

Most ISPs only provide access to there outgoing mail server, when you are connected via there systems. If they didn't do this, the spam problem of e-mail would be un-managable, and to block spam e-mail, you would be blocking everyone.

As such, if you wish to send e-mail using a PlusNet connection, you have to use the PlusNet servers, and not the Tiscali ones.
N/A

"Most ISPs only provide access to there outgoing mail server, when you are connected via there systems. If they didn't do this, the spam problem of e-mail "
THEIR,not THERE
did everyone on here NOT go to school??
Fill in a form for a job like that and see if you get it.....
N/A

Can we please stay on topic and respect that other users of the forum are not as perfect as you.

I for one suffer from dyslexia. Somthingt, which if you didn't happen to know, that prevents a person from grasping the meaning of the wording they use. There, their, where, wear, d, b, all of which can easily come out wrong. On other occasions, thinking of how somthing should be written can cause two methods being concatinated into one, resulting in words that make no sence.

There are very likely people that could pick apart your own post (parts of which even I can see), however that is petty, off topic and I honestly can't see how we got there.
N/A

"Most ISPs only provide access to there outgoing mail server, when you are connected via there systems. If they didn't do this, the spam problem of e-mail "
THEIR,not THERE
did everyone on here NOT go to school??
Fill in a form for a job like that and see if you get it.....

musicman53, where is your punctuation?
Where is your capitalisation at the start of your sentence?
Where is your respect and consideration for others?
N/A

There are very likely people that could pick apart your own post (parts of which even I can see), however that is petty, off topic and I honestly can't see how we got there.

Bugger! I just read this part of your reply and realised that I'm petty. How can I live with myself without being perfect?